It was another afternoon of frustration for Gloucester City as two goals from Tom Hannigan sealed the victory for table-topping AFC Fylde.\r\n\r\nThe goals either side of the half-time break saw the Lancashire outfit home and dry, the first due to a lapse of concentration seeing the defender tap home at the far post, the second a simple header in front of goal.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers saw chances go amiss throughout the contest, most notably Sam Avery’s free header which would’ve levelled the game and a bevy of off-target efforts as City pushed and pushed.\r\n\r\nTim Harris’ side started with intent as a neat cutback from Matt Groves was almost latched onto by an incoming Matt Williams.\r\n\r\nThe Vanarama Conference North’s leading marksman Charlie Griffin was introduced to the game with a strong header wide after a sumptuous move.\r\n\r\nGriffin drove a free-kick straight at Ben Hinchcliffe but the Coasters started to find their feet with former Manchester United man Michael Barnes tearing down the wing before a lacklustre shot.\r\n\r\nFylde had a major opportunity thwarted by the sliding Sam Avery who blocked Danny Rowe’s effort en route to goal after he’d been teed up by Richard Allen.\r\n\r\nHinchcliffe was then called into action after Griffin produced an excellent header that had to bring the best out of the Coasters keeper followed by another powerful header, this time from Marc Richards.\r\n\r\nAnother frenetic run from Groves threatened for Gloucester as the pacy winger took on four Fylde defenders before a driven shot at Hinchcliffe.\r\n\r\nHowever, Fylde broke the deadlock seconds before the break as a lapse of concentration from the City defence allowed a short corner to be fizzed into the back post where Hannigan was there to apply the finish.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers had a glaring opportunity at the beginning of the second period to level through Avery who saw his header cannon inches over the bar after a typically floated Billy Jones delivery.\r\n\r\nThe Coasters doubled the lead on 51 minutes with a simple header in front of goal by Hannigan for his second of the game.\r\n\r\nLiam Tomsett headered a glorious opportunity wide as City couldn’t really find any rhythm, symbolised by two wild efforts from Richards and Connolly that both flew high and wide.\r\n\r\nWith time running out, Harris’ side began to threaten much more, firstly a sublime  Jones free-kick that dipped just over the crossbar, followed by Nat Jarvis, fresh from his international stint with Antigua and Barbuda, heading off target.\r\n\r\nThree more chances came and went as Chris Jones shot from distance, Scott Wilson smashed over the bar and Jarvis headed over from close range to sum up an afternoon of frustration.\r\n\r\nGloucester City: M. Green, S. Avery, B. Jones, S. Hamilton, M. Williams, A. Connolly, M. Richards, M. Green (S. Wilson 76), C. Griffin, A. Mann (N. Jarvis 56), M. Groves (C. Jones 61)\r\n\r\nSubs not used: E. Chamberlain, M. Preece\r\n\r\nAFC Fylde: B. Hinchcliffe, C. Hughes (J. Booth 69), A. Sumner (L. Denson 69), J. Langley, T. Hannigan, B. Barnes, L. Tomsett (D. Hankin 81), M.Potts, D. Rowe, M. Barnes, R. Allen\r\n\r\nSubs not used: D. Lloyd, D. Charles\r\n\r\nGoals: Hannigan 45+3, 51\r\n\r\nAttendance: 396

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.