Gloucester City conceded two late goals to throw away 2 points away to Gainsborough Trinity on a sunny afternoon in Lincolnshire.\r\n\r\nCity took an early lead in the fifth minute as the ball fell somewhat fortuitously to Nick Wright in the area and the former Kidderminster striker finished with ease past Rory Watson.\r\n\r\nGainsborough had an opportunity to level straight after, following a teasing delivery from the left that found a towering Adam Quinn at the back post, but the effort from the centre half was well wide.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers continued to pile on the pressure with a string of corner kicks, however they failed to bring a much needed second goal.\r\n\r\nThe match then died down and both sides resorted to several route one passes, with neither team able to find their rhythm.\r\n\r\nThe home side began to settle into the game as half time approached. Livewire winger Liam Davis struck a drive from range, but his effort was well wide of Paul White’s goal.\r\n\r\nGainsborough should have equalised moments later. Liam Davis, again causing problems down the right flank, put in a beautiful driven low ball but there was nobody there to tap in to an open net.\r\n\r\nCity played the best part of ten minutes with a man down, after James Bowen was twice sent for treatment on a blood injury. Luckily for the Tigers, Trinity couldn’t make the man advantage count.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers doubled their advantage straight after the restart. James Bowen played a beautiful chip over the top and Nick Wright burst away from his marker and smashed it in on the half volley.\r\n\r\nAfter a long period of pressure from Trinity, Gloucester found their stride on the hour mark. Adam Connolly tried a shot from the edge of the box but it was well held by Watson\r\n\r\nHarry Williams tried a curler from the angle on the edge of the Trinity box but the whipped effort was well wide.\r\n\r\nGloucester had a glorious chance to make it 3-0 but Cheltenham Town loanees Harry Williams and James Bowen got their wires crossed just at the wrong time.\r\n\r\nFrom the resulting corner, Matt Williams had a point blank header well saved by Watson, but the referee pulled play back for an earlier infringement.\r\n\r\nTrinity had one back in the last minutes following a pinpoint ball over the top that was met by the towering Darryn Stamp to place it expertly in the corner.\r\n\r\nGainsborough equalised in the 90th minute again through Darryn Stamp. The ball was pulled back to Stamp and his shot was deflected in past White.\r\n\r\nGainsborough Trinity: Watson, Roma (c), Lacey, Binns (Beesley 55’), Quinn, Picton, Russell, Byrne, Davie (Yates 58’), Hamilton (Stamp 66’), Davis\r\n\r\nSubs: Brogan, Forrest\r\n\r\nGloucester City: P. White, Green, Jones, M. Williams, Avery, Connolly, Bowen, Webb (c), Wright (H. White 82’), H. Williams (Modest 88’), Orenuga (Knowles 77’)\r\n\r\nSubs: Staley, Rivers\r\n\r\nReferee: Ricky Wooton\r\n\r\nAttendance: 501\r\n\r\nStar Man: Nick Wright (Gloucester)

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.