Gloucester City maintained their 100% winning record against FC United of Manchester as they ended their winless run of seven games, as they came away from Broadhurst Park with a well-fought 2-1 victory.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers could have had the lead early on following good link up play between Obi Anoruo and Joe Hanks, but Joe Parker was denied by the offside flag against Anoruo.\r\n\r\nThe dangerous Anoruo nearly had the opening goal as Femi Orenuga laid the ball on a plate for him but it just bobbled up before he struck it, so he could only slice it wide.\r\n\r\nCity had the lead soon after through Parker, who was playing his first game back for the Tigers since scoring nine goals in 11 for Cinderford Town.\r\n\r\nOrenuga threaded a beautiful through ball to Lewis Hall who only had Carnell to beat, but he selflessly squared it to Parker who only had to tap into the empty net.\r\n\r\nTom Greaves nearly had a chance to level for the hosts as he beat the offside trap but Jasbir Singh rushed out to clear out the ground.\r\n\r\nThe hosts had the equaliser they were looking for just before half time through a deflected strike by George Thomson.\r\n\r\nParker fouled his man 35 yards out from the Tigers goal and Thomson’s long range effort was deflected through the hands of Singh and into the City net.\r\n\r\nJust before the break City nearly regained the lead after Orenuga did well to beat Thurston before crossing. A goalmouth scramble ensued that was eventually cleared.\r\n\r\nWith United pressing early on in the second half, City had a half chance on the break following a mazy run from Hall all the way from one penalty area to the other, but the lack of support soon saw the move break down.\r\n\r\nAll the chances were coming from the Tigers. A Joe Hanks corner flashed across the United goalmouth where only a touch would have seen City into the lead.\r\n\r\nMinutes later though, City had what they deserved when Harry Williams side footed into an empty net.\r\n\r\nA header from deep in his own half by Billy Jones was nodded on by Parker into Harry Williams, who proceeded to round Dave Carnell and slot home.\r\n\r\nThe home fans were sent into raptures five minutes before the end when they thought they had equalised but amidst the euphoria, the linesman’s flag was raised.\r\n\r\nDespite the pressure in the dying moments though, United could not find an equaliser and it was the Tigers who came away from Broadhurst Park with all the points.\r\n\r\nFC United of Manchester: Carnell, Stott, Thurston (Wolfenden 88’), Kay, Smyth, Ashworth, Fallon (Sheridan 77’), Winter, Greaves (capt), Thomson, Madeley (Daniels 68’)\r\n\r\nSubs: Lindfield, Brown\r\n\r\nGloucester City: Singh, Hamilton, Jones (capt), Cundy, Avery, Hall (Bowen 79’), Orenuga (E. Williams 42’), Knowles, Anoruo (H. Williams 60’), Parker, Hanks\r\n\r\nSubs: Miller, Smith\r\n\r\nReferee: Shaun Hudson\r\n\r\nAttendance: 3187\r\n\r\nStar man: Joe Parker

Comments are closed.