A late equaliser from Colby Bishop earned Gloucester City a deserved share of the spoils away at Curzon Ashton, to maintain a five point gap to the relegation zone.\r\n\r\nAn early chance went begging for City as a dangerous corner from Billy Jones was flicked goalwards at the near post by Chris Knowles, but it failed to find the mark.\r\n\r\nA free kick by Jasbir Singh was nodded down by Robbie Cundy to Joe Hanks on the edge of the box who fired over with his left foot as he looked to find his range.\r\n\r\nCity were unlucky as they were denied a penalty. Hanks shot venomously at goal, which Mason spilled to Robles. He was then taken out by Mason but the referee pointed for a goal kick.\r\n\r\nRobles was then in the thick of it again. Hanks whipped in the ball with pace, Mason misjudged it and Robles couldn’t head into an empty net six yards out.\r\n\r\nA brilliant effort from a free kick by Billy Jones was comfortably held by stand-in ‘keeper Mason as he got across quickly.\r\n\r\nHanks was still trying to find his range as Webb did well to fake inside and lay the ball off to him, but this time it trickled wide.\r\n\r\nAfter being involved for a large period at one end, Hanks was then involved at the other as he had to put in a good last ditch challenge to deny Conner Hughes on the edge of the box\r\n\r\nCurzon began to find their feet in stoppage time as Cundy was forced into a good block to deny Cummins.\r\n\r\nLewis Hall very nearly scored what would have been goal of the season as he let fly from 35 yards. The ball struck the frame holding the net up and cannoned into the side netting, with many City fans thinking it went in.\r\n\r\nSingh was finally forced into a save just before the hour mark as he got his body behind a well struck effort by Liam Tomsett.\r\n\r\nCity were then caught on the break and found themselves a goal down as the ball was whipped in from the right flank, Brooke hit the crossbar with his header before Cummins followed up to stab it home.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers should have been two down moments later were it not for a lack of composure by Cummins as he scuffed wide from 12 yards.\r\n\r\nCity kept piling the pressure on though and went close as Omari Sterling-James fired a swerving shot that was parried away by Mason.\r\n\r\nThen came the moment that the Tigers deserved as a surging run from Hanks split open the Curzon defence.\r\n\r\nHanks then let fly with a weak footed shot that was turned home by Colby Bishop, showing great striker’s instinct to prod past Mason.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers pushed for a winner but it didn’t come, and as they go into their home match with Nuneaton on Tuesday, City find themselves five points clear of relegation with three games to go.\r\n\r\nCurzon Ashton: Mason, Flynn, Hampson, Hunt, Shaw, Rowney, Wright (Hughes 35’), Brown (capt) (Warburton 20’), Cummins, Tomsett, Brooke\r\n\r\nSubs: Burton, Cockerline, Woodford\r\n\r\nGloucester City: Singh, Green, Jones, Cundy, Avery, Knowles (Bishop 65’), Webb (capt), Hanks, Robles (Williams 56’), Hopper, Hall (Sterling-James 65’)\r\n\r\nSubs: Hamilton, Hannah\r\n\r\nReferee: David Richardson\r\n\r\nAttendance: 226\r\n\r\nStar man:  Joe Hanks

Comments are closed.