A goalless draw at Curzon Ashton certainly won’t live long in the memory as Gloucester City saw their play-off hopes take a dent.

Ed Williams put in a teasing cross from the right early on looking for the in-form Zack Kotwica, but Cameron Mason came out to claim the ball well.

The first shot on goal in the game fell the way of Curzon top scorer Niall Cummins as he glanced it straight into Jasbir Singh’s grasp from 12 yards.

Singh was called into action again following a lull in the game as Matt Warburton struck from the edge of the box and the Tigers stopper had to be at full stretch to claw it away from what would have been a certain goal.

That shot from Warburton was the spark that the game needed as the first half drew to a close, and with the game becoming more and more feisty, Jonathon Hunt went into the book for a tough tackle on Ed Williams.

Joe Guest was then booked after he led with his elbow when challenging Keiran Thomas in the air, with City players remonstrating that a red card should have been produced.

The second half started much the same way as the first, with neither side settling into a rhythm.

Keiran Thomas chipped a cross to the back post for Kotwica to head at goal but it flew just over.

The Tigers thought they had the lead as Luke Hopper controlled a Williams through ball and buried with aplomb past Mason but the linesman’s flag was straight up for offside.

A hairy moment followed for Singh as Guest took a strike from the edge of the box that he looked to be set to gather, but it took a wicked deflection that nearly caught Singh out, but the Tigers ‘keeper gathered it down low.

Three big chances came for City as Curzon defended resolutely. Luke Thomas, Ed Williams and Joe Hanks all saw shots denied by a firm-standing defence, with Williams’ strike heroically blocked on the line by Shaw.

City had a spring in their step after that and began to grow into the game a bit more, which was notable with Luke Thomas getting on the ball, as he curled a shot just wide of the far post with Kotwica stretching to reach it but he couldn’t get there.

That would prove to be one of the last real chances of the game for either side, but the Tigers had one more chance to snatch all three points.

Hopper, who hadn’t had his greatest game, went close for Tim Harris’ men as he picked the ball up on the left of the box, cut inside and curled an effort wide of the far post.

Curzon Ashton: Mason, Wright, Stott, Hunt, Shaw, Brown (capt), R. Hall, Rowney, Cummins (McKenzie 67’), Warburton, Guest

Subs not used: Ennis, Burton, Clarke, Thornley

Gloucester City: Singh (capt), K. Thomas, L. Hall, Deaman, Avery, Knowles, Hanks (McGrory 64’), Williams, Hopper, Kotwica (Parker 70’), L. Thomas (King 85’)

Subs not used: Hamilton, Moseley

Referee: Paul Brown

Attendance: 246

Star man: Ed Williams

Comments are closed.