Two quick goals in four first half minutes shell shocked Gloucester City away to Corby Town, as the Steelmen ran out 3-1 winners.\r\n\r\nConnor Thompson had the first chance of the game early on. The livewire winger took a shot from the edge of the box that took a big deflection but was gathered easily by Corby goalkeeper Paul Walker.\r\n\r\nMills was again causing problems for the Tigers defence. He got the better of Matt Williams but Jasbir Singh was up to the task and stopped the one-on-one shot.\r\n\r\nThe Steelmen took the lead in the 12th minute through the lightning quick MK Dons loanee Kabongo Tshimanga, who managed to get in behind the defence and calmly finish past Singh.\r\n\r\nTen minutes later the hosts had a second goal following a superb finish from Ashley Sammons who curled an absolute peach into the top corner from range, leaving Singh with no chance.\r\n\r\nCorby made it 3-0 from the penalty spot moments later. A contentious decision was given against Matt Williams and Greg Mills duly dispatched the spot kick.\r\n\r\nWith the Tigers well and truly on the ropes, they pushed forward with a rare attack; however Connor Thompson and Obi Anoruo both went up for a header and got their wires crossed and the ball sailed wide.\r\n\r\nCity were desperately trying to grab a goal back before half time and they nearly had it following a lovely interchange between Thompson and White resulting in White’s shot being well blocked by Duane Courtney.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers continued to press. Obi Anoruo turned well on the edge of the box before unleashing a fierce goal bound shot that was well saved.\r\n\r\nCity came out of the blocks for the second half with real intent. Ross Staley struck a half volley in the box straight down into the ground that was saved well when he really should’ve scored.\r\n\r\nFollowing a host of chances for the visitors Corby were duly awarded another penalty. Mills stepped up again but this time Jaz Singh saved the spot kick and then from the rebound produced a stunning reflex stop to push the ball over the bar.\r\n\r\nThe home fans were left wondering how it wasn’t 4-0 after Duane Courtney found himself in acres of space 6 yards out, yet somehow managed to blast the ball out of the stand.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers’ man of the match Jaz Singh produced another stunning stop to deny the dangerous Tshimanga in another one-on-one.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers finally had the reward of a consolation goal in stoppage time following a lovely ball over the top by Parker, which Anoruo latched onto to finish with aplomb into the top corner.\r\n\r\nIt was too little too late for City though who now face Stalybridge Celtic away on Saturday.\r\n\r\nCorby Town: Walker, Kennedy, Carruthers, Courtney, Aaron Brown, Anton Brown, Mills, Taylor (capt.), Tshimanga (Weir-Daley 73’), Milnes, Sammons (Revan 84’)\r\n\r\nSubs: Thomas, Donkin, Wright\r\n\r\nGloucester City: Singh, Hamilton, Jones, Williams (capt.), Avery, Connolly, Liddiard, Thompson (Hicks 76’), Anoruo, White (Symons 64’), Staley (Parker 64’)\r\n\r\nSubs: Hall, Richards\r\n\r\nReferee: Ben Cooke\r\n\r\nAttendance: 650\r\n\r\nStar man: Jasbir Singh (Gloucester)

Comments are closed.