Gloucester City’s hoodoo against Colwyn Bay continued as three first half goals secured a home victory in North Wales.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers have never been victorious against the Seagulls and after an early own goal from Jack Harris on his return it seemed as if that trait was to last.\r\n\r\nTom Buckley added a fortuitous second before Tom Webb gave City hope with an excellent near post finish.\r\n\r\nJust before the break Obi Anoruo stole a march on City’s defence and knocked past Jasbir Singh from outside the area to add a third.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers threatened sparingly during the second period, as Anoruo conjured the best opportunity lashing an effort onto the post.\r\n\r\nWith club captain Harris back in the starting line-up for the first time since early pre-season, the Tigers looked ahead to the contest with a fresh outlook.\r\n\r\nHowever, nine minutes into his first game back, Harris ended up knocking into his own net amongst a bevy of players.\r\n\r\nThe bobbly surface misled the Tigers defender who sliced past Jasbir Singh after Marc Williams crossed into the near post.\r\n\r\nMatt Williams attempted to equalise with a half volley over the bar, then George Miller whipped a shot that Liam Sharpe caught well.\r\n\r\nColwyn Bay’s lead was extended through Buckley after Anoruo cut the ball across the area for Singh to parry into the midfielders path to side-foot home.\r\n\r\nCity hit back soon after, a stirring break forward by George Miller and a pinpoint through ball put Webb through to cannon the ball inside the near post.\r\n\r\nAdam Connolly tested Sharpe before Singh’s mis-kick at the other end to Chris Noone saw the midfielder half-volley perilously close from 35 yards.\r\n\r\nWelshman Chris Jones forced a brilliant stop from Sharpe, before Billy Jones curled in a corner that evaded a bombardment of Tigers players by inches.\r\n\r\nThe period of pressure that City enjoyed couldn’t conjure another goal as in a flash Colwyn Bay made it three with Anoruo pacing through the defence and deftly finishing from 18 yards.\r\n\r\nNeeding a quick response to have any hope of gaining something from the fixture, Charlie Griffin saw an effort cleared away in front of goal.\r\n\r\nManager Harris made the call to finish the game with three defenders and it seemed to boost the Tigers with Harry White and Webb attempting to test Sharpe.\r\n\r\nHowever, this left City exposed on the counter as only a heroic last ditch challenge by defender Harris thwarted Rob Hopley from adding a fourth.\r\n\r\nAnuruo ran riot after a break forward and lashed a stunning effort onto the woodwork.\r\n\r\nCity threatened late with substitute Matt Groves and Webb, but it was another defeat for the Tigers who now look ahead to a crunch game against Stalybridge Celtic who sit one place and two points behind the Tigers.\r\n\r\nColwyn Bay:  L. Sharpe, D. Taylor, L. Moss, A. Stevens, J. Royle, C. Noone, T. Buckley (P. Haywood 86), O. Anoruo (P. Mendes 87), R. Hopley, M. Williams, W. Baynes\r\n\r\nSubs not used: J. Ollerenshaw, A. Hodgson, V. Mukendi\r\n\r\nGoals: Harris OG 9, Buckley 18, Anoruo 40\r\n\r\nGloucester City: J. Singh, S. Avery, B. Jones (M. Groves 58), J. Harris, M. Williams, A. Connolly, G. Miller, T. Webb, H. White, C. Griffin (N. Modest 66), C. Jones\r\n\r\nSubs not used: M. Richards, M. Green, H. Rivers\r\n\r\nGoals: Webb 27\r\n\r\nAttendance: 295

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.