Their coach may have arrived late, but the Gloucester City players certainly turned up on time as they ground out an excellent victory against Chorley.\r\n\r\nThe Magpies pressed the visiting Tigers defence, hoping to capitalise on any fatigue after City’s coach was held up in traffic – delaying kick-off by 15 minutes.\r\n\r\nHowever the City back line held firm and there were no signs of tiredness as Sam Avery did well to block Andy Teague’s strike on the edge of the box.\r\n\r\nTom Webb struck a long range effort well wide of the goal before City had the lead after a quarter of an hour through Chris Knowles.\r\n\r\nJoe Hanks floated a beautifully weighted corner in to the area that caused the Chorley defence all sorts of problems and Knowles was there to power his header home at the back post.\r\n\r\nChorley began to apply more pressure to the Tigers defence and, following a good solo run, Darren Stephenson crossed towards the back post but nobody was there to divert goalwards.\r\n\r\nJack Dorney tried his luck as the ball fell nicely to him on the edge of the box but it was deflected into the arms of Singh who gathered easily.\r\n\r\nStephenson again did well to beat the Tigers defence but even after getting to the byline, his cross was weak and controlled by Sam Avery.\r\n\r\nThe dangerous Stephenson left many home fans thinking he had scored after he shot from the angle of the penalty area, but his strike was against the side netting and never dangerous for Singh.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers ‘keeper was forced into action again moments later as he rushed out of his goal to spread himself, denying Dale Witham one-on-one.\r\n\r\nChorley were left feeling very lucky as Avery was millimetres away from doubling the Tigers lead, but he just could not get on the end of a cross from Hanks.\r\n\r\nCity were caught napping following a quick corner by the Magpies which led to a volley by Jordan Connerton, but he blasted over on the edge of the box.\r\n\r\nRobbie Cundy, who hadn’t really had much to do all game, was forced into making a good challenge in the final five minutes, denying Jack Lynch by just nipping in front of the Chorley attacker to dispossess him.\r\n\r\nOmari Sterling-James made a dazzling run to get past Andy Bond and captain Teague, before unleashing a shot that was parried round the post by Ashton.\r\n\r\nFrom the resulting corner, Knowles nearly had his second of the match as he rose highest before heading against the top of the crossbar.\r\n\r\nThere was to be no late equaliser for the Magpies though as the Tigers saw the game out to pick up their fifth win in seven games.\r\n\r\nChorley: Ashton, Ross, Beesley, Teague (capt), Roscoe (Dean 79’), Cottrell, Dorney (Lynch 66’), Whitham (Field 74’), Connerton, Bond, Stephenson\r\n\r\nSubs: Charnock, Jarvis\r\n\r\nGloucester City: Singh, Green, Jones, Cundy, Avery, Knowles, Webb (capt), Hanks (Richards 64’), Williams, Parker (Hamilton 87’), Hall (Sterling-James 80’)\r\n\r\nSubs: Dale, Dinsley\r\n\r\nAttendance: 668\r\n\r\nStar man: Sam Avery

Comments are closed.