Back at Whaddon Road, but this time as the away team, Gloucester City struggled to make a significant impact against a strong Cheltenham Town side.\nOn his debut in goal for City, James Bittner was forced to deal with a rampant Cheltenham strike force.\nBreaking through on five minutes Jamie Cureton set up Sam Deering deep in the City box, Deering’s low shot rolled past Bittner into the left corner of the goal to give the home side an early lead.\nMore pressure from Cureton followed, with a shot nipping wide of the post minutes later.\nExacting and swift, it was new signing Matt Richards who gave Cheltenham their second goal on 19 minutes with a stunning left footed shot from 20 yards out, Bittner stretched but stood no chance as the ball sailed past.\nAnother shot, this time from Keith Lowe was blocked by Bittner as City struggled to get a foothold on the game.\nDefenders Sam Rawlings and Tyler Weir had their work cut out, with Weir blocking two more shots by Cureton before the half hour mark.\nOnly new boys Scott Wilson and Matt Groves came close for City, but both attempts were wide of the target.\nWith the first half coming to an end Cureton had time for a couple more attempts on goal, but Bittner, growing in confidence, was well placed to deal with both.\nStarting the second half with a new formation City looked more lively with Darren Edwards setting up Groves for a shot across goal on 49 minutes.\nInjecting a bit of pace Joe Tumelty, on for Lewis Hogg, showed skill on the ball, weaving it through to Groves just before the hour mark.\nStriker Joe Parker slotted in in place of Scott Wilson on 65 minutes, following a wave of substitutions for Cheltenham, and the pace settled as both sides reshuffled.\nYoung Parker showed great composure on 70 minutes, shooting straight at Connor Roberts in the Cheltenham goal before collecting the rebound and poking it past the Welsh under 21 keeper whilst sat on the floor.\nOne goal clawed back City looked for a second but unwisely let Ashley Vincent run through defence to rifle a shot away at Bittner, the City keeper calmly palming the ball away.\nUnder sustained pressure from City young Daniel O’Donnell struggled to stay composed but Groves’ half volley was easily saved by Roberts.\nRobust tackling from Matt Coupe earned the City skipper his first yellow of the season on 85 minutes for a crunching tackle on Ashley Vincent before Zack Kotwica broke forward.\nKotwica, a former pupil of City’s Tom Webb, broke across goal, sliding the ball low for a final block from Bittner.\nIn the dying moments Cheltenham pushed City hard but the 2-1 score line reflected a strong test for both sides.\nNicking a second goal never looked likely but a strong display from new boys Groves and Wilson shows promise for the coming season.\nGoing into the next game against Brimscombe and Thrupp the Gaffer will look to run the rule over his band of triallists as the countdown to the first league game away at North Ferriby begins.\n\n\n\n\nGloucester City: J Bittner, S Rawlings (R Batten 68), T Weir, M Green (L Binns 85), J Harris, T Webb, L Hogg (S Tumelty 55) M Liddiard (M Coupe 46) D Edwards, S Wilson (J Parker 63) M Groves (S Turl 85). Subs: K Tracey, N Phillips, A Taylor\n\nRef: Steve Bratt\n\nAttendance: 571 (98 Gloucester City)\n\nStar man: Matt Groves

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.