A last minute penalty from Adam Price sealed defeat for a semi-strength Gloucester City outfit at Brimscombe and Thrupp.\r\n\r\nThe home side had taken the lead early in the second half with Price pouncing through on goal, before striker Darren Edwards had equalised on the hour for the Tigers\r\n\r\nTrialist Liam Antonio Orchard found the net to place City back in front before Gary Probert and Price’s penalty swung the result into The Meadow side’s favour.\r\n\r\nDavid Mehew’s team started the more proactive and came tantalisingly close to the lead after two minutes with new signing Matt Groves jinking through the defence and seeing his shot bounce off the bottom of the far post.\r\n\r\nMat Liddiard popped up in midfield and found Danny Campbell but the striker’s finish lacked edge and found its way into the arms of Adam Thomas in goal.\r\n\r\nIt was all City during the first half with Groves tormenting down the left hand side setting up chances for Edwards, Scott Wilson and Liddiard in quick succession.\r\n\r\nThe Wilson chance was particularly special after sensational interplay between the two former Yate Town players culminated in the young striker shooting over the bar.\r\n\r\nEdwards fluffed his lines just before the break and a tame shot dribbled wide of the upright.\r\n\r\nThe Lilywhites came out after the break with new intent, and capitalised in the 50th minute with Price picking up a stray ball from midfield and knocking it past Steve Sparrow for the lead with their first effort of note.\r\n\r\nThe goal seemed to reinvigorate the Tigers as Mehew rung the changes with five substitutes in quick succession.\r\n\r\nThis quickly paid dividends with Groves shooting from long range, seeing Thomas spill into the path of Edwards who knocked home with aplomb to equalise.\r\n\r\nCity continued to press the Hellenic League side and Wilson came close but saw his effort dink wide.\r\n\r\nJohnny Lee went near to scoring a wonder free kick, but only a superb save from Thomas stopped the Florida native’s effort.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers took the lead after 77 minutes with Groves working well on the right to find Antonio Orchard at the back post who smashed home from close range.\r\n\r\nThe game was just beginning the warm up however, and after ex-City trainee Ben Prictor’s effort was saved by substitute Aaron Taylor, captain Probert was there to pounce to make it level.\r\n\r\nThe contest had opened up and Tyler Weir almost took advantage, but his strong effort from outside the box brushed the post.\r\n\r\nThen came the pivotal moment, Dwayne Porlock had pounced through the City backline and Taylor fouled him on the edge of the box to give away a penalty that Price smashed home with ease to put the Lilywhites ahead with seconds remaining.\r\n\r\nGroves, a livewire all game, attempted to equalise in the little time that remained, but Thomas was more than a match to the winger’s effort as the final whistle was blown.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers will travel to Brockworth Albion on Thursday evening, with the contest being a fundraiser for both sides.\r\n\r\nBrimscombe and Thrupp: A. Thomas, C. Greenhough (McDermott 45), B. Prictor, J. Davies (O. Price 45), G. Probert, J. Tubb, D. Woodland, B. Snook (Caldwell 65), B. Jones (Deakin 65), M. Beckingham (Porlock 65), A. Price (Nash 45).\r\n\r\nGoals: A. Price 50, 89 pen, Probert 82\r\n\r\nGloucester City: S. Sparrow (Taylor 70), M. Green, L. Binns (Knott 60), M. Coupe, R. Batten, M. Liddiard (Weir 64), S. Wilson, J. Tumelty (Lee 64), D. Edwards (Antonio Orchard 64), D. Campbell (Parker 60), M. Groves\r\n\r\nGoals: Edwards 64, Antonio Orchard 77\r\n\r\nAttendance: 136

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.