A very lucky deflection on Dayle Southwell’s 64th minute strike that sent the ball into the Gloucester City net was enough for Boston United to see off the Tigers.\r\n\r\nCity started very well; Mike Green played a dangerous ball across the face of goal but there was nobody in a white shirt to turn home.\r\n\r\nCity could have had the lead just before the half hour following a terrible back pass to Henrich Ravas by Mills, but Symons just could not get on the end of it.\r\n\r\nFrom this, Boston went straight up the other end and McGhee found Jay Rollins in acres of space in the City area but Jaz Singh produced a superb one-on-one stop.\r\n\r\nWith the first half coming to an end, the Tigers had a free kick in a promising position after Liam Marrs hacked down Joe Parker 20 yards from goal, a tackle for which he was booked.\r\n\r\nBilly Jones stepped up to the dead ball and struck a fierce effort, which was barely wide of Henrich Ravas’ far post.\r\n\r\nWith the scores level at half-time, City applied the pressure early in the second period. Billy Jones whipped in a lovely ball to the near post but Symons could only head over.\r\n\r\nBoth sides began to find a rhythm soon after and Mark Jones had a chance for Boston from 12 yards out, but his volley deflected off Richards and into the arms of Singh.\r\n\r\nBoston were in the ascendancy and it took a great stop from Jasbir Singh from a Jay Rollins 1-on-1 to keep the scores level.\r\n\r\nAnother great ball in from Billy Jones was this time met by City player-coach Marc Richards at the far post but Ravas was on hand to produce a great save.\r\n\r\nThe best chance of the half came for Jay Rollins just after the hour mark after he beat the offside trap and struck an angled drive past Singh that cannoned off the post and back into the City keeper’s hands.\r\n\r\nBoston were unlucky not to have the lead as City defended for their lives. First, Singh spread himself well to block a 1-on-1 from Rollins; then Mike Green was on hand to clear a Piergianni header off the line.\r\n\r\nThe Pilgrims had a deserved lead as Dayle Southwell struck one from 20 yards after the ball had cannoned back to him; Southwell’s strike was deflected leaving Singh stranded.\r\n\r\nWith City now chasing the game they went close to an immediate equaliser. Jones delivered one of his trademark set pieces and Sam Avery headed the ball centimetres over.\r\n\r\nDespite a whole host of chances for the Tigers in the dying moments they could not find the equaliser and this defeat means City haven’t won since the opening day of the season.\r\n\r\nBoston United: Ravas, Marrs, Deen-Conteh, Mills (Dowie 54’), Garner (capt), Piergianni, McGhee (Deacey 76’), Dixon, Southwell, Jones, Rollins (Friend 89’)\r\n\r\nSubs: Roberts, Alexander\r\n\r\nGloucester City: Singh, Green, Jones, Williams (capt), Avery, Richards (Connolly 65’), Liddiard, Hanks, White (Thompson 70’), Symons, Parker (Hall 65’)\r\n\r\nSubs: Hicks, Hamilton\r\n\r\nReferee: Neil Hair\r\n\r\nAttendance: 990\r\n\r\nStar man: Jasbir Singh (Gloucester)

Comments are closed.