Gloucester City were outclassed as five-star Barrow, and Jason Walker, put the Tigers to the sword in a ruthless display.\r\n\r\nIn deepest Cumbria, promotion challengers Barrow took the lead early as Sam Sheridan netted with aplomb before Alex-Ray Harvey slotted home 22 seconds into the second half.\r\n\r\nHowever, the Bluebirds were ruthless heading into the final minutes and Walker scored a hat-trick in the final quarter of an hour to make sure City’s long trip back to Gloucester became even longer.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers had suffered a nightmare trip up to their overnight location on Friday evening, before another hour on the road before the game, but it was no excuse as Barrow were dominant from start to finish.\r\n\r\nCity started well as Tom Webb flashed a ball at goal, but the Cumbrians broke forward with pace and despite a solid clearance from Spencer Hamilton, Sheridan found the tiniest gap in a bevy of bodies to smash the ball into the net.\r\n\r\nBarrow, challenging for promotion in the Vanarama North, looked lively, but it was City with the next chance as Matt Groves booted over from the right.\r\n\r\nThe Bluebirds were lucky to keep eleven men on the pitch as Paddy Lacey threw a clear elbow at Sam Avery, with blood drawn, but was only cautioned.\r\n\r\nDebutant Jamie Stephens was thrown into the limelight 10 minutes before the break with a stupendous low save from Andy Cook.\r\n\r\nCook had the ball in the net shortly after, but after the offside Walker had played in him, the goal was disallowed.\r\n\r\nAs has happened numerous times already this campaign, City switched off at the beginning of the second half and were punished.\r\n\r\nOnly 22 seconds had passed by the time Harvey had jinked his way through the Tigers back-line and slipped under Stephens to double the advantage.\r\n\r\nThe second goal seemed to stem any Barrow nerves as they looked more free-flowing, highlighted by a fantastic Cook run, albeit a tame effort.\r\n\r\nBoss Harris brought on top scorer Charlie Griffin and Chris Jones with the hope of pushing the Tigers back into the contest.\r\n\r\nHowever, with 15 minutes remaining Walker killed any hope of a City revival.\r\n\r\nMarc Richards and Stephens must’ve been cursing their luck after two tremendous blocks, the ball fell straight to the deadly Walker who tapped home in the only available gap.\r\n\r\nBilly Jones and George Miller saw ambitious efforts saved well by McMillan and flash just wide.\r\n\r\nA fourth was added by Walker who nipped in from the right hand side and slotted into the far corner.\r\n\r\nThe nightmare wasn’t going to end there for City, as Walker slotted home a stoppage time penalty to complete his hat-trick and condemn Harris’ men to a heavy defeat.\r\n\r\nBarrow:  T. McMillan, A. Burns, A. McWilliams, P. Lacey, D. Livesey, S. Grand, I. Reid, S. Sheridan (A. Harvey 29), J. Walker, A. Cook (A. Owens 66), D. Pilkington (J. Gorman 76)\r\n\r\nSubs not used: J. Ellison, L. Willis\r\n\r\nGoals: Sheridan 6, Harvey 46, Walker 75, 83, 90+2\r\n\r\nGloucester City: J. Stephens, S. Avery (C. Griffin 53), B. Jones, S. Hamilton, M. Williams (M. Richards 40), G. Miller, M. Green, T. Webb, N. Modest, J. Parker, M. Groves (C. Jones 60)\r\n\r\nSubs not used: A. Mann, H. Rivers\r\n\r\nAttendance: 1,270

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.