It was one of those nights for Gloucester City as a spirited performance against promotion candidates Altrincham wasn’t enough.\r\n\r\nA tap-in from Simon Richman, after an outstanding save from Mike Green, followed by a wonder strike from Brian Smikle condemned City to a sixth consecutive winless game.\r\n\r\nHowever, despite the home side pressing throughout, the Tigers had fantastic chances through Darren Mullings and Sam Turl either side of the break.\r\n\r\nThe tempo of the contest was set from the beginning with Kyle Perry testing from 25 yards but seeing his shot blast over the bar.\r\n\r\nCity looked dangerous in the opening minutes and after a good run by Tyler Weir on the right, Matt Groves’ header passed narrowly wide of the post.\r\n\r\nEx-Cheltenham Town midfielder Smikle looked to open up City but his well-struck shot was met with an equally good stop from Green.\r\n\r\nThe best chance of the game fell to Mullings on 22 minutes, Groves had been superb in his build-up play and teed up a weighted pass to the playmaker who saw his blasted effort scrape the side-netting.\r\n\r\nAltrincham broke away five minutes later and secured the breakthrough, James Walshaw had a stinging shot parried by Green to the only man free in the box, Richman, who couldn’t miss from three yards out.\r\n\r\nMullings was City’s main attacking outlet in the first half, and after Will Morford’s cheeky backheel he couldn’t keep his shot down.\r\n\r\nThe second half couldn’t have started worse for Dave Mehew’s men with Smikle scoring an absolute corker from outside the area which clattered the crossbar and in; it was a goal that no keeper in the world could’ve saved.\r\n\r\nThe second Altrincham goal seemed a stunt City’s performance which the chance of the result fading away and quick attempts from Nicky Clee, Gianluca Havern and Walshaw bombared City’s goal.\r\n\r\nHowever, the team spirit that the Tigers have in abundance shone through and Weir make Stuart Coburn work with a smart save after the former Hereford United player danced his way into the box.\r\n\r\nSubstitute Turl then forced an excellent save out of Coburn after he swivelled and shot in the area, but the Altrincham custodian reached it with his fingertips.\r\n\r\nA late effort from James Lawrie was saved by Green as the game petered out to a comfortable victory for the Robins.\r\n\r\nAltrincham: S. Coburn, S. Densmore, M. Doughty, C. Rodgers, G. Havern, S. Leather, B. Smikle, S.Richman, K. Perry (Reeves 83), J. Walshaw. N. Clee (Lawrie 69)\r\n\r\nSubs not used: R. Gilroy, D. Ubah, A. Reid\r\n\r\nGoals: Richman 27, Smikle 47\r\n\r\nGloucester City: M. Green, M. Green (Parker 48), S. Rawlings, M. Coupe, J. Harris, T. Weir, L. Hogg (Wilson 64), D. Mullings, W. Morford, J. Edge, M. Groves (Turl 69)\r\n\r\nSubs not used: N. Phillips, N. Mustoe\r\n\r\nAttendance: 626

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.