For the second time this season, Gloucester City bagged a share of the spoils late on against Alfreton Town, with Tom Webb firing home two minutes from time, which was no less than City deserved.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers started two loanees up front in the form of Colby Bishop and Louis Robles, and they combined early on as Bishop played a through ball, but Robles couldn’t latch onto it.\r\n\r\nCity had good shouts for a penalty after a free kick from deep was headed back into the box by Robbie Cundy and Robles played it off the hand of Todd Jordan, but the referee waved away protests.\r\n\r\nTwo more shouts for handball followed after yet another Tigers corner, both coming after Bishop tried to cross into the box but both were denied again.\r\n\r\nRobles was again looking dangerous as he turned on the edge of the box but was stopped dead in his tracks by Julian Banton.\r\n\r\nAlfreton’s first half chance came as Cecil Nyoni miscued on the edge of the box, before Dan Bradley curled into the arms of Singh from the corner of the area.\r\n\r\nOnce again Robles was in the thick of it but he could only scuff his shot from the edge wide at the second time of asking.\r\n\r\nMatt Duke kept his side in it as he produced a stunning save low to his left to deny Robles, after he linked up with Bishop well.\r\n\r\nAgainst the run of play, Alfreton had the lead. The chance was arguably the first real opportunity the hosts created as a nice through ball was played to Sam Smith who chipped it nicely over Singh.\r\n\r\nCity came out firing for the second half. A great free kick in from Jones was met by Bishop at the back post who rose well but it was tipped over by Duke.\r\n\r\nDuke, who was the stand out player for the hosts, made another great save as Webb fired across goal but Duke was there to turn behind for a corner.\r\n\r\nWebb was then involved at the other end as he got back to break up a three-on-one counter attack before Jackson fired well wide.\r\n\r\nAnother glorious chance went begging for City as Bishop fizzed the ball across but Knowles fired over, unmarked, from 12 yards.\r\n\r\nIt looked for all the world as if City were not going to score as they went close again, first through Williams’ blocked effort then through Webb’s deflected shot.\r\n\r\nBishop rose well again in the area, forcing Duke into a good save, but the breakthrough finally came in the dying moments of the game.\r\n\r\nAlfreton failed to clear the ball on the edge of the box and it fell to Webb who rifled a stinging shot past the outstanding Duke, into the back of the net.\r\n\r\nCity looked to press for a winner but a late Omari Sterling-James free kick was well blocked, leaving both sides to share the points.\r\n\r\nAlfreton Town: Duke, Thanoj, Banton, Jordan, Heaton, Nyoni, Leesley, Meikle (Doyle-Charles 71’), Jackson (Allan 86’), Smith, Bradley (capt)\r\n\r\nSubs: Wilson, Robertson\r\n\r\nGloucester City: Singh, Green, Jones, Cundy, Avery, Dinsley (Hall 78’), Webb (capt), Knowles, Bishop, Robles (Sterling-James 87’), Williams (Hopper 81’)\r\n\r\nSubs: Hamilton, Hanks\r\n\r\nReferee: Alf Greenwood\r\n\r\nAttendance: 513\r\n\r\nStar man: Tom Webb

Comments are closed.