Gloucester City lost their undefeated record in 2016 thanks to an early goal from Danny Lloyd, but were denied by several great stops by Matt Urwin.\r\n\r\nThe Coasters had the first chance of the game inside the first minute as Danny Rowe saw Jasbir Singh off his line before chipping the Tigers stopper, which cannoned off the bar and away.\r\n\r\nJoe Parker was desperately unlucky as he flicked the ball goalwards in the six yard box but the ball came off both posts before being hacked away.\r\n\r\nFylde had the lead somewhat fortuitously through Danny Lloyd following a breakaway down the right, then the ball deflected off Avery into Lloyd’s path to slot home.\r\n\r\nMatt Urwin pulled off the first of one of his many brilliant stops as he tipped over a Chris Knowles free header, before Knowles again went close from the corner.\r\n\r\nSingh was then involved again as he pulled off a remarkable stop to deny Rowe’s free header as he tipped over.\r\n\r\nParker then had the ball in the back of the net but it was ruled out for an offside flag against Billy Jones, however it looked very marginal.\r\n\r\nOnce again Singh kept his side in it as he flung himself away to his right to deny Brad Barnes.\r\n\r\nCity hit the woodwork once again at the start of the second half as Joe Hanks unleashed a dipping free kick that Urwin spilled onto the post before gathering at the second attempt.\r\n\r\nAgain Singh was the hero for the Tigers as the ball in from the right found Lloyd three yards out but Singh once again kept him out.\r\n\r\nMike Green very nearly went from hero to zero rather quickly as he turned behind a Rowe shot for a corner, before flicking his clearing header towards the back post but thankfully Singh was on hand once again.\r\n\r\nUrwin was quick off his line to deny Parker once again after the City striker was set away by a lovely threaded through ball by Ed Williams, who looked a threat all afternoon.\r\n\r\nIt took another brilliant stop from Urwin to deny debutant Omari Sterling-James a goal within minutes of coming on, as he got down low to his left.\r\n\r\nCity began to throw everything forward as they desperately tried to rescue something from the game, as Billy Jones was hacked down for a free kick near the corner flag.\r\n\r\nHowever, the delivery was good but nobody was on hand to turn it in and the Tigers lost their unbeaten run to a strong AFC Fylde side.\r\n\r\nAFC Fylde: Urwin, C. Hughes, Sumner (Whittle 81’), Crainey, Hannigan (capt), Barnes, Finley, Baker, Lloyd, M. Hughes (Charles 72’), Rowe\r\n\r\nSubs: Hinchliffe, Hardy, Blinkhorn\r\n\r\nGloucester City: Singh, Green, Jones, Cundy, Avery, Knowles (Richards 83’), Webb (capt), Hanks, Williams, Parker (Sterling-James 75’), Hall (Hamilton 90’)\r\n\r\nSubs: Dale, Dinsley\r\n\r\nReferee: Marc Edwards\r\n\r\nAttendance: 408\r\n\r\nStar man: Ed Williams

Comments are closed.