Date: Saturday, 24th October\r\n\r\nCompetition: The Emirates FA Cup\r\n\r\nKick-Off: 3pm\r\n\r\nLocation: Wheatsheaf Park, Staines\r\n\r\nFollowing a comprehensive 3-1 victory away at Leiston in the last round, Gloucester City will be confident of reaching the First Round Proper of the Emirates FA Cup for the 3rd time in four years, when they travel to Staines tomorrow.\r\n\r\nGoals from George Miller from the penalty spot, Jonté Smith and Joshua Cooke were enough to see the Tigers over the line despite the disappointment of conceding late on.\r\n\r\nThis will be the 3rd time the two teams have faced off in the FA Cup in two years, with the sides meeting at the 3rd Qualifying Round stage last season.\r\n\r\nThe first meeting was a 1-1 draw at Staines’ Wheatsheaf Park, with the Tigers coming out on top in the replay 3-2 at Whaddon Road.\r\n\r\nCity had been 2-0 up before a resurgence from the visitors saw them level at 2-2. Luckily for the Tigers, Nathan Modest was on hand to strike late on to set up a 4th Qualifying Round tie with Forest Green Rovers, where City eventually bowed out losing 4-1 in a game that didn’t reflect the score-line.\r\n\r\nThe opponents:\r\n\r\nStaines Town FC was founded in 1892 and was known under various names including Staines F.C., Staines Albany F.C., ‘Staines Lagonda F.C.’, and ‘Staines Town F.C.’, until it folded in 1935. However prior to World War II the club re-formed as Staines Vale.\r\n\r\nIn 1953 Staines Town were founder members of the Hellenic League, where they finished runners-up in 1956. In 1958 they joined the Spartan League and won the title two years later.\r\n\r\nAfter finishing second in 1971, Staines Town advanced to the Athenian League, where they won the Second Division title at the first attempt, amassing a record number of points.\r\n\r\nDuring 2002–03 and 2003–04, Staines played in Division One South of the Isthmian League and on the last day of season 2003–04, under Steve Cordery, they secured a place in the Premier Division in the newly re-structured pyramid.\r\n\r\nThe Swans spent five seasons in this division before winning promotion to the Conference South in 2009.\r\n\r\nThey had finished second in the league and therefore gained promotion through the play-offs, beating Carshalton Athletic 1–0 in the final at Wheatsheaf Park on 2 May 2009.\r\n\r\nThe club have reached the FA Cup first round proper on five occasions, in 1879, 1880, 1984 (losing 2–0 at a Neil Warnock-managed Burton Albion), 2007 and 2009.\r\n\r\nIn 2007 Staines were drawn away against League Two outfit Stockport County. A crowd of 3,460 saw Staines go behind to a Matty McNeil header but a 76th-minute equaliser from Charles-Smith earned a replay.\r\n\r\nIt was announced on 12 November that the replay would be shown on Sky Sports, resulting in a £75,000 windfall for each club. Staines Town completed the improbable upset as they won the match on penalties.\r\n\r\nOn 28 November 2009 they earned a place in the 3rd Round Draw for the first time ever after a 1–1 draw against League One Millwall, Ali Chaaban scoring a 79th-minute penalty to level the score after having gone behind ten minutes earlier, in front of a 2,753 crowd.\r\n\r\nTeam news: \r\n\r\nGeorge Miller and Jonté Smith have been under the weather this week with a bug but should be OK for Saturday.\r\n\r\nJosh Cooke has recovered from tonsillitis that kept him out of Saturday’s trip to Bradford Park Avenue.\r\n\r\nBilly Jones still hasn’t recovered from a slight Achilles injury.\r\n\r\nObi Anoruo will have a fitness test ahead of the game on Saturday.\r\n\r\nFemi Orenuga has recovered from his stomach bug.

Comments are closed.