A brutal second half display from Guiseley condemned the Tigers to a second consecutive away defeat after midfielder Lewis Hogg was sent off early in the second half.\nThe Tigers had played well and took a surprise lead at the league leaders after Tom Webb had capitalised on a rare mistake, however after Hogg’s dismissal the Yorkshire side’s enviable attack, which includes three England ‘C’ players, shone through.\nA brace from Josh Wilson and a strike from Nicky Boshell was enough to beat a brave City resistance and confirm the Nethermoor side’s promotion ambition.\nThe opening exchanges were even, however it was the Tigers who almost struck an early blow after two consecutive Darren Mullings headers were well saved by Steve Drench.\nWith 15 minutes gone, the Lions finally roared into life when a good team move saw Gavin Rothery see his chance superbly blocked by City skipper Matt Coupe, quickly followed by a speculative shot from Wayne Brooksby.\nBrooksby started to prove a threat for Guiseley as he terrorised the City backline, producing multiple saves from City’s Conor Thompson in net.\nCity quickly responded with a break up field only for Drench to comfortably save an ambitious attempt from Steve Davies.\nThe Tigers then pounced on a rare mistake in the Guiseley backline as Tom Webb was sent through to knock the ball home from a tight angle, sending David Mehew’s side into a shock, but deserved, lead.\nWith City exposing Guiseley from either side, a half chance for debutant George Washbourne went close. This was followed by Steve Davies rushing through on goal and smashing the post from close range.\nCity continued to pile pressure on last year’s play-off semi finalists and were almost rewarded for a second time after a teasing corner from Lewis Hogg fell to Davies 10 yards out who blazed the ball over the bar.\nGuiseley exploded out of the blocks to begin the second half and shots from Brooksby and Boshell were handled well by Thompson.\nThe Lions start became even better after a wreckless tackle from Hogg saw his second booking and the Tigers down to 10 men for the remainder of the contest.\nImmediately after Hogg’s dismissal the ball was sent to the left where Wilson crossed a devilish ball to Boshell who calmly poked home from two yards out, capping an awful minute for the Tigers.\nHowever the pain wasn’t to end there for City, three minutes later Boshell repaid the favour by setting up Josh Wilson through on goal and nestled the ball into the bottom corner, putting Guiseley into the lead.\nThe Yorkshire side’s one man advantage began to show and the lead was almost increased once more when Boshell was ushered in and missed a golden one-on-one opportunity.\nThe game finally became out of reach for a spirited City after an intricate piece of play from the ever-threatening Lions strikeforce saw the ball find Boshell, and this time, the lethal striker made no mistake this time to place the Nethermoor Park side into a 3-1 lead and keep them on top of the Blue Square Bet North.\nThe Tigers face another early pace-setter Brackley Town on Tuesday, and after this display, will go into the match at Whaddon Road with confidence.\n \nGuiseley: S. Drench, J. Clarke, A. McWilliams, R. Meynell, D. Ellis, S. Ainge, W. Brooksby (Brogan 75), A. Holdsworth, J. Wilson, N. Boshell (Walshaw 75), G. Rothery\nSubs: M. Bower, C. Branson, J. Giles\nGoals: Boshell 52, Wilson 55, 60\nGloucester City: C. Thompson, M. Green, J. Harris, M. Coupe, J. Tilson (Liddiard 89), T. Webb, L. Hogg, D. Mullings, D. Edwards, G. Washbourne (Rawlings 52), S. Davies (Parker 67)\nSubs: W. Morford, N. Mustoe\nGoals: Webb 27\nAttendance: 541

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.