Gloucester City were stunned by Ben Harris’ winner just seconds after equalising as they suffered their second defeat of the season to newly promoted Slough Town.

Jake Mawford, who was lively all afternoon levelled the scores after Lee Togwell gave the visitors the lead with a fantastic header early in the first half.

But straight from the resulting kick-off, Slough caught City sleeping at the back to snatch all three points at the Jubilee.

The visitors started the brighter and were unfortunate not to be in front in the first minute when Lee Togwell saw his looping header cleared off the line.

Joe Parker and Jake Jackson had some bright moments, linking up well and they began asking the Slough defence a few questions. And Parker wasted a half-decent chance, firing his effort well wide.

The away side then had a series of corners in which City were eventually punished for failing to clear their lines. Togwell rose highest to nod the ball home with a bullet header, leaving Yates with no chance.

City responded well and almost levelled six minutes from the break, Jake Mawford got his head onto the end of a fantastic cross only to see the ball go narrowly over.

The visitors then wasted a golden chance, which was gifted to them by a City mistake, however, luckily for Tigers, Chris Flood was unable to capitalise, firing wide of the post.

After the break, City began to have more of the ball and started to assert more pressure on the away side. Mawford continued to have a growing influence on the game as they looked to break down a stubborn Slough defence.

And on 70 minutes, just when it looked like Slough had regained control, Mawford finished a brilliant cross from Hanks on the left-hand side to briefly level the score.

But City were asleep from the kick-off, substitute Ben Harris got onto the end of a ball from Josh Jackman and finished well to stun all in attendance at the Jubilee.

At this point, the Tigers were all over the place and could have been 3-1 down just moments later, only for the linesman to rule out a second from Harris.

In response, Marc Richards threw on Jamal Lawrence and Jamie Edge in an attempt to salvage the game.

But City never looked capable of recovering as the game fizzled out to a disappointing conclusion.


Yates, Liddiard, Deaman (Edge 77), Hanks, Avery (c), Hamilton, Parker, Knowles (Lawrence 77), Jackson (Seymour 45), Mawford, Page

Subs Not Used:

Williams, Kelly

Referee: Michael Barlow

Attendance: 353

Next up for the Tigers, they travel to Bath City on Tuesday 14th August 19:45 Kick Off.

For more Post-match reaction:

You can follow us for regular updates via the club’s Twitter feed or Facebook page.

Post-match reaction will be available on the YouTube channel as well as the club website.

Comments are closed.