A familiar face came back to haunt Gloucester City as they crashed out the Gloucestershire Senior Challenge Cup at Cossham Street.\r\n\r\nLee Marshall, who was part of the promotion winning squad of 2008/9, grabbed an 86th minute winner for Mangotsfield in a closely fought game.\r\n\r\nCity fielded a youthful side, with only Neil Mustoe, Will Morford and Jack Harris increasing the average age of the squad.\r\n\r\nMangoes fielded a few familiar faces, keeper Kev Sawyer, defender Tom Parrinello and strikers Micheal Whittington and Ben Hunt have all worn the City stripes at some point.\r\n\r\nParrinello showed the nous which helped him win supporters player of the season at Gloucester, tracking back to block a Joe Parker shot off the line in the first ten minutes.\r\n\r\nParker, fresh from scoring a brace for Hartpury in the week, looked lively, tearing about the Cossham St pitch and linking up well with Will Morford and Aysa Corrick.\r\n\r\nDespite concerted pressure from Parker and Morford, Sawyer stayed resolute in the Mangotsfield goal, commanding his box and soaking up the pressure.\r\n\r\nMangotsfield were quick on the break and hit the side netting from a counter attack on 17 minutes before sending a free kick from the edge of the area flying over the bar.\r\n\r\nGloucester could have had a penalty 20 minutes  into the first half when Adam Mann’s rising shot appeared to be blocked by the hand of a Mangotsfield defender.\r\n\r\nMann had another shot, a low long range effort, easily saved by Sawyer on 34 minutes after Corrick worked hard to feed the ball to his feet.\r\n\r\nParker showed guile and composure to beat two defenders and keep the ball as it bobbled in the box in the dying minutes of the half, with Sawyer beaten and a hard angle between him and the goal the teenager hit the post.\r\n\r\nSawyer faced more pressure in the second half, but, unsurprisingly for someone with more than 100 appearances for Gloucester under his belt, read every corner the right way.\r\n\r\nJosh Klein Davies failed to hit the target, shooting over the bar, having broken through the youthful City defence as Mangotsfield began to take advantage with less than 15 minutes to go.\r\n\r\nWhittington tested City keeper Chris Humphries with a shot from the edge of the box, which Humphries appeared to block at close range with his face.\r\n\r\nOn 86 minutes a Parrinello corner fell to Ryan Bennett who nodded it to Marshall to head past Humphries with a little help from a hapless City defender.\r\n\r\nWith minutes left on the clock Morford managed to fumble an open goal, poking the ball the wrong side of the post and ending up sprawled in the back of the net himself as City couldn’t find the late equaliser.\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\nMangotsfield United:  Kevin Sawyer, Joe Turley,  Tom Parrinello, Lee Marshall, Ryan Bennett, Todd Winter, Kyle Tooze (Leroy Swabey 72),  Matt Thorne, Mike Whittington, Josh Klein Davies, Kyle Thomas (Lewis Parker 78). Subs: , Marcus Duharty, Shaun Lamb, Ben Hunt\r\n\r\n\r\nGloucester City: Chris Humphries, Neil Mustoe, Jack Harris, Sam Rawlings, Kieran Mace,  Adam Mann, Matt Liddiard, Alex O’Leary,(Steve Davies 29)  Joe Parker, (Tom Webb 62) Will Morford,  Aysa Corrick ( Josh Hunt 70)\r\nSubs not used: Mike Green, Mike Green GK.\r\n\r\n\r\nReferee: Mr N. Brimming\r\n\r\nAssistant Referees: Mr O. Spender, Mr M. Chidley\r\nStar man: Sam Rawlings

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.