Gloucester City’s week of discontent after dispiriting defeat at the hands of Chester.\n\nDespite valiant defending the lack of ideas going forward means the Tigers are now under pressure to improve their league position.\n\nWith more than 500 fans packing out the away end Chester started strongly, winning a pair of corners within the first five minutes, Curran’s shot from the second going straight out for a goal kick.\n\nCity looked bright in midfield, with Adam Mann getting an early shot towards John Danby after collecting a neat pass from Tom Webb.\n\nTom Hamblin’s header at the back post was blocked off the line before a foul was given as Gloucester looked for a way ahead.\n\nBut Chester were quick on the break, with former Cheltenham Town man Scott Brown pulling the strings. Matt Coupe blocked a Nathan Jarman pass on 16 minutes, making up for a poor clearance from Jack Harris.\n\nHarris attempted to make amends at the other end moments later with a sublime overhead volley, nudged out for a corner by Sarcevic.\n\nAfter 20 minutes Chester began to surge forward. Defender Mike Green mistimed his header leaving Jarman free to face down his namesake in goal, but the other Green blocked the shot.\n\nNext it was Hamblin who headed over another effort from Jarman.\n\nJarman had two more shots stopped on the half hour mark, the first blocked by Hamblin, the second caught by Green.\n\nDanny Williams hit the inside of the post on 37 minutes after collecting a loose ball and running through the box. Keeper Green made another crucial save just before the break, stopping a low Scott Brown header.\n\nJarman continued to be the dangerman in the second half, heading the ball wide on 50 minutes.\n\nCity’s talismanic midfielder Webb had a shot come cross saved on 54 minutes but it was no real threat to Danby. \n\nDavies’ neat run through midfield was stopped on the edge of the box by Danny Williams on 57 minutes. Before Hogg gave away a free kick at the other end, which Wes Baynes bobbled under the wall straight to keeper Green.\n\nJarman put Chester ahead on 65 minutes with a well weighted volley after keeper Green was distracted by Dave Hankin’s mistimed bicycle kick.\n\nHogg picked up his second booking for a seemingly innocuous tackle on Brown on 71 minutes and saw red for the third time this season. \n\nDown to ten City made a double change, bringing on Will Morford and Sam Rawlings in place of Edwards and Goddard.\n\nBut the change did little to improve their fortunes as Chester continued to push forward. Curran’s dipping shot was tipped over by Green on 78 minutes before Jarman fired into the side netting minutes later.\n\nWith no serious chances on goal in the second half manager Dave Mehew may be forced to ring the changes before the midweek visit of Colwyn Bay.\n\n\nGloucester City: Green, Green, Mann (Harding 62) Coupe, Hamblin, Webb, Hogg RC 71 Goddard (Rawlings 73) Edwards (Morford 73) Davies, Harris. Subs: Holland, Mustoe\n\nChester: Danby, Baynes, W Williams, Horan, Collins, Brown, Gray (Hankin 63) Sarcevic, Jarman (M Williams 89), Curran (Howard 84) , A Williams. Subs: Linwood, M Williams, Clancy, \n\nRef: Craig Hicks\n\nAtt: 852\n\nStar man: Mike Green (goalkeeper)

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.