Gloucester City might not yet have won during this pre-season campaign but their defeat at the hands of newly relegated Hereford showed much promise.\n\nDespite the 4-2 score line City displayed neat passing football, keeping the ball on the deck for much of the game.\n\nWith manager Dave Mehew on holiday Neil Mustoe and Adie Harris took charge and fielded a strong line up.\n\nMarlon Jackson and Ryan Bowman looked like an immediate threat for Hereford, linking up well and testing the City defence.\n\nMike Green’s quick reflexes stopped Bowman’s tight angled effort only for Simon Clist to score straight from the resulting corner, bending the ball past the City keeper to put Hereford ahead.\n\nClist’s glory was short lived when he pulled down Darren Edwards a minute later and the referee pointed to the spot. After missing a penalty last week Edwards made no mistake this time, stroking the ball past Dan Hanford to draw the score level.\n\n\n\nCity were working well going forward with Lewis Hogg feeding Edwards and Ben Hunt but Hereford were dangerous on the break, with Jackson again testing Green on 22 minutes.\n\nBowman put the Bulls back in front on 29 minutes with a rasping shot after breaking through to go one-on-one with Green before Jackson made it 3-1 on 37 minutes.\n\nHogg hit the bar with a long range effort for the second time in two games as City looked for a second. It came minutes later after well worked passing from Hogg, Darren Mullings and Edwards, Hogg threading a final pass to Adam Mann on the edge of the box for the young City winger to slot under Hanford. \n\nAfter the break Hereford started with a completely different back four and an unnamed triallist, complete with a numberless shirt.\n\nCity dominated in stages but lacked the final push for another goal.\n\nThe fourth goal they conceded was unlucky, Mike Green blocking a shot with his chest only for the ball to drop to the feet of Canham, allowing him to calmly stroke the ball home.\n\nThe appearance of Matt Liddiard was once again a bright spot towards the end of the game, the young midfielder looked strong and assured. City fought to the end but could not make it stick.\n\nAtt: 338\n\n. Hereford: Hanford; Gallinagh (Pell 46), Townsend (nk 46), Stam (Graham 46), Heath (Dalibard 46); Watkins (nk 81), Evans, Clist (Carruthers 72), Clucas; Jackson (Canham 46), Bowman. Gloucester: Mike Green, Michael Green (McGrane 85), Harris, Coupe, Hamblin (Rawlings 27), Webb, Hogg, Mullings (Mace 85), Edwards, Hunt (Parker 74), Mann (Liddiard 70). Referee: Kevin Morris (Hereford).\n\n\n\nGoals: Clist, 10 min, 1-0; Edwards pen, 11 min, 1-1; Bowman, 29 min, 2-1; Jackson, 37 min, 3-1; Mann, 40 min, 3-2; Canham, 67 min, 4-2.\n\nYellow card: Gloucester: McGrane, 88 min, foul; Hogg, 90 min, foul.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.