Gloucester Futsal Revolution dominated the FA National Division 2 South round 3 in Plymouth last Sunday.\r\nKyle Kennedy scored 4 goals in the first game of the day against Reading and the game was never as close as the 7-4 scoreline suggests. Gloucester jumped into the lead with Goals from Kennedy and Andy Lewis, Reading pegged it back with their new French signing Belahcen El Assarir showing the crowd they could be a team to watch in round 4, but with Kennedy adding more to his tally and Lewis and Curtley Browne chipping in again, it panned out to be a comfortable victory.\r\n\r\nPlymouth were no match for Gloucester in game 2 – it proved to be an easy victory for Coach Cheal and the lads. Curtley Browne added to his tally for the day with Andy Lewis and Andy Smith scoring 2 a piece. Final score 6-1.\r\n\r\nGame of the day came in the final tie. Gloucester v Kaunas. Kaunas had come into the day 9 points ahead of Gloucester. But their first loss of the whole competition to Reading Futsal Club earlier in the day had left them looking vulnerable. Would they fight like wounded animals or would they capitulate with dented egos.\r\n\r\n \r\n\r\nFrom the off it was obvious they were up for the challenge.

Kaunas played it tight in defence offering no space for Gloucester to work. Gloucester retained the ball well until a mistake let Kaunas in and captain Vytautas Skarna drove the ball into the roof of the net. Gloucester responded in typical style by getting their heads down and working through the moment causing Kaunas countless problems, it’s at this point Curtley Browne started to show the way driving in an outrageous shot from 20 yards and then setting Andy Lewis for the goal that took the lead. Both teams added again before the half, Browne again for Gloucester and Eimantas Meidus notching number 2 for Kaunas.\r\n\r\n \r\n\r\nThe second half was the most tense 15 minutes of futsal seen this season. Both teams went toe to toe, shots were fired in on the Gloucester goal with Hucclecote Custodian Dan Welch repelling the onslaught with a collection of outrageous saves and one clearance punch that sent two Kaunas players sprawling on the deck.\r\nKaunas needed an equaliser, in desperation they withdrew their goalkeeper and added another outfield player, they played the ball around keeping possession the ball shifting back and forth across the court as the seconds disappeared, one more cross court ball was fizzed, but this time it didn’t reach its destination instead in landed on the right toe of Andy Smith, he had time to shape himself, pull his right peg back and swing, the ball sailed forty yards through the air ,bounced and rolled into the empty Kaunas net. The buzzer went for time. Kaunas were beaten again. Smith was engulfed by his teammates from the bench, happy days.\r\nGloucester now stand 3 pts behind Kaunas – with 8 games to play.\r\n4th round -March 25th in Newham, London.\r\n\r\n \r\n\r\nFinal Round April 29th GL1 Gloucester.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.