A storming late second half display from Gloucester City saw Hinckley United’s relegation from the Blue Square Bet North confirmed, as the Tigers vaulted into the top half.\r\n\r\nA header from Sam Rawlings, a strike from Adam Mann, a tap-in from Joe Parker and a late penalty from Darren Edwards secured the Tigers the victory.\r\n\r\nHowever, it wasn’t all plain sailing for the Tigers as Hinckley kept the score at 1-1 for a large majority of the contest before their late collapse.\r\n\r\nThe first half started with David Mehew’s men showing their intent straight off, with the Tigers pushing the Hinckley backline consistently very deep.\r\n\r\nHowever, they couldn’t capitalise on their early authority as a Davies half-chance, a speculative Mann shot and a storming header from Chris Holland all went amiss.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers made the breakthrough on 15 minutes after a peach of a ball from Mann found the head of Rawlings who powered the ball into the back of the net.\r\n\r\nCity had chances to double their lead but after a piece of interplay between Lewis Hogg and Rawlings, the ball found Mann whose improvised header struck the top of Martin Conway’s woodwork.\r\n\r\nThe visitors then equalised sensationally before half time after Jack Lane conjured a chance out of nothing from 30 yards out, bewildering Mike Green in goal, and sailing into the back of the net.\r\n\r\nGloucester City countered back but after Davies was played in one-on-one, the striker scuffed his chance at the very last moment.\r\n\r\nThe second half continued in the vein of the first, with the relegation stricken visitors having very little of the attacking play.\r\n\r\nHowever, chances for City kept coming and going without being taken.\r\n\r\nThese included a difficult header from Edwards, a snatch shot from Mann and a chance from the right for Mike Green, all well saved by Conway.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers hit the woodwork yet again after a third storming header from Holland struck the inside of the post but cannoned into the arms of Conway.\r\n\r\nThen, on 70 minutes, the Tigers finally went back into the lead after Mann picked up a loose ball in the area and struck home into the bottom corner.\r\n\r\nThis was quickly followed by an in-swinging Danny Andrew corner flicked on by Davies into the far corner of the goal where Parker was waiting to poke home, the 17-year-old’s first goal for the club.\r\n\r\nWith time running out, substitute Edwards was brought down in the penalty area by Declan Towers, and coolly slotted home the resulting penalty for a fourth and final goal for City.\r\n\r\nThe victory now puts Gloucester City into the top half of the table for the first time since the opening day of the season, and above rivals Worcester City.\r\n\r\nGloucester City: M. Green, M. Green, D. Andrew, T. Hamblin, C. Holland, T. Webb, L. Hogg, S. Rawlings (Edwards 45), S. Davies (Mustoe 82), M. Liddiard (Parker 70), A. Mann\r\n\r\nSubs not used: D. Mehew\r\n\r\nGoals: Rawlings 14, Mann 70, Parker 72, Edwards 87\r\n\r\nHinckley United: M. Conway, D. Towers, T. Brown, R. Conway, D. Kalonji, M. Lopez, J. Lane (Moraka 78), G. Hurren, H. Headley, L. Richards (Canavan 74), J. Pickering\r\n\r\nSubs not used: S. McGrath, J. Hartland, A. Malhotra\r\n\r\nGoals: Lane 38\r\n\r\nAttendance: 293

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.