Gloucester City 2 v 2 Guiseley\r\n\r\nA last gasp equaliser by Matt Wilson secured ten-man Guiseley a point against a spirited Gloucester City side.\r\n\r\nThe title-chasing side had taken an early lead after a superb free kick from Josh Wilson, but a stunning strike from Tom Webb and a penalty from Darren Edwards had put the Tigers ahead.\r\n\r\nHowever, with the seconds ticking down, a crazy goal-line scramble saw Matt Wilson slot home, to deny City a deserved victory.\r\n\r\nThe game opened evenly, but it was the Tigers who had the first chance of note after a Danny Andrew corner found Chris Holland in the middle, but the big centre-back couldn’t keep his shot down.\r\n\r\nStriker Darren Edwards then went even closer, but a good cross from Tom Webb came just behind Edwards, who did well to manoeuvre to force a smart save from Steve Drench in the Guiseley net.\r\n\r\nThe Yorkshire side came back at City and a great move from Wayne Brooksby found James Walshaw in the middle who shot just wide.\r\n\r\nGuiseley, who are second in the league, then showed their class. A foul from Saw Rawlings saw a free kick given 30 yards out. Josh Wilson stepped up and scored an absolute pearler, a Beckham-esqe strike to put the Lions into the lead.\r\n\r\nThe visitors almost doubled their lead, but after great work between Andy Pearson and Andy Holdsworth, the latter saw his shot deflected inches wide of Mike Green’s right post.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers then roared back into the contest. Darren Edwards caused problems on the Guiseley right, managed to fumble through the defence, pass back to Webb who thrashed the ball into the top left hand corner of the goal.\r\n\r\nThe contest changed on 38 minutes, Wayne Brooksby, Guiseley’s midfield maestro was caught in an altercation with City’s Lewis Hogg and saw a straight red, sending the title-chasers down to ten men.\r\n\r\nCity exploded out of the blocks in the second half and was close to being rewarded after Adam Mann managed to get in behind the Guiseley defence, cross brilliantly to Steve Davies whose last-ditch shot struck the bottom of the post.\r\n\r\nThe game’s end-to-end tone continued and Pearson was desperately close to re-taking the lead for the Lions but Green cleared off the line.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers then came inches from scoring, but after Mann had broken through the defence, his chipped effort over Drench was cleared heroically off the line by Ellis.\r\n\r\nGuiseley attacked yet again, but a superb header from Walshaw was brilliantly saved by Green, to tip the ball over the bar.\r\n\r\nWith Guiseley pushing forward, City counter-attacked with Morford who passed to Edwards in the middle, only for the City talisman to be fouled by the out-coming Drench. The penalty was converted with aplomb, and sent City into a surprise, but deserved lead.\r\n\r\nWith time running down, Phil Marsh managed to get in behind the City defence but Green came out to make a fantastic block save.\r\n\r\nThen, straight from Green’s clearance Edwards found Morford in the box but the substitute smashed his shot straight at Drench.\r\n\r\nFinally, as the board was up for stoppage time, a mad goal-line scramble in the City penalty area somehow ended with substitute Matt Wilson poking home from a yard out to snatch an equaliser for the visitors.\r\n\r\nGloucester City: M. Green, S. Rawlings (M. Green 67), D. Andrew, M. Coupe (Hamblin 60), C. Holland, T. Webb, L. Hogg, A. Mann, D. Edwards, M. Liddiard, S. Davies (Morford 64)\r\n\r\nSubs not used:  J. Parker, N. Mustoe\r\n\r\nGoal: Webb 34, Edwards pen, 72\r\n\r\nGuiseley: S. Drench, A. Hardy, R. Meynell, J. Rea, D. Ellis (Wilson 88), A. Pearson, W. Brooksby, A. Holdsworth, J. Wilson, J. Walshaw (McWilliams, 90+4), K. Holsgrove (Marsh 78)\r\n\r\nSubs not used: M. Bower, J. Giles\r\n\r\nGoals: J. Wilson 17, M. Wilson 90\r\n\r\nAttendance: 220

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.