Two goals from Gloucester boys Tom Webb and Matt Liddiard salvaged Gloucester City a late draw against Colwyn Bay in front of a bumper crowd.\r\n\r\n602 supporters came through the turnstiles at Whaddon Road; quadruple the amount of the previous mid-week game against Droylsden.\r\n\r\nThey witnessed a very entertaining contest, with the Tigers coming from behind twice to gain a point that places them 10th in the division.\r\n\r\nThe Welsh visitors had taken an early lead after a thumping effort from Gareth Evans; however City replied with a 25-yard bit of brilliance from Tom Webb.\r\n\r\nWith time running out, ex-Chelsea star Frank Sinclair poked home for the Seagulls before Liddiard’s thumping header earned City a draw.\r\n\r\nIt was the visitors that had the better start, and were inches from taking the lead early but Robert Hopley’s gliding header trickled past the post.\r\n\r\nOn the next attack, eight minutes in, the Welshmen broke the deadlock after Hopley’s previous shot cannoned into Gareth Evans path after Mike Green’s save and he lashed a peach of a goal into the top right corner.\r\n\r\nThis break for the relegation candidates spurred the Tigers into their stride as they peppered the Seagulls goal.\r\n\r\nThe ball then came to Tom Webb, City’s record appearance holder, and the midfielder struck a looping shot from 25 yards out to equalise for the Tigers. It was an absolute pearler.\r\n\r\nCity started to get into some sort of groove and Darren Edwards was unlucky not to put City ahead, but he couldn’t sort his feet out at the crucial moment.\r\n\r\nThe second half started brightly for the North Wales side and they came inches from re-taking the lead, but Adam Mann’s heroics on the line kept City level.\r\n\r\nThe midfielder then surged forward but shot wide of the upright.\r\n\r\nColwyn Bay was still very much a threat and Mike Green did well to save from Charlie Joyce after the winger curled his shot from 25 yards.\r\n\r\nHowever, with the introduction of Will Morford, City had more of an impetus to gain a stranglehold of the game and almost did as the substitute was played through and denied by Chris Sanna, who rushed out to the striker’s feet.\r\n\r\nJamie Ellison then troubled Green with a speculative shot from outside the box, which proved too hot to handle for the ‘keeper has he needed two attempts to gain control.\r\n\r\nColwyn Bay, in desperate need of win to survive in the Blue Square Bet North, came tantalisingly close after Ellison played in Evans, but the midfielder’s dangerous cross-shot evaded all-comers in the penalty area.\r\n\r\nThen, on 82 minutes, City’s resistance broke.\r\n\r\nA dangerous free kick found Colwyn Bay player-manager Sinclair in the six yard box, after a first shot was saved from Green the defender poked home to cause wild celebrations amongst the travelling Welsh support.\r\n\r\nThe ball then came to Liddiard on the edge of the box and his volley produced a stunning save from Sanna.\r\n\r\nThe resulting corner saw the youngster rise highest as he smashed home a header to equalise in front of the makeshift T-End at Whaddon Road.\r\n\r\nHowever, it could’ve been even better for the Tigers, but Tom Hamblin couldn’t keep his header low as the game ended in a rightful draw.\r\n\r\nGloucester City: MJ. Green, MF. Green (Rawlings 45), D. Andrew, M. Coupe T. Hamblin, T. Webb, L. Hogg, J. Harris, D. Edwards (Liddiard 76), S. Davies, A. Mann (Morford 60)\r\n\r\nSubs not used: C. Holland, N. Mustoe\r\n\r\nGoals: Webb 18, Liddiard 84\r\n\r\nColwyn Bay: C. Sanna, T. Smyth, M. Lea, F. Sinclair, D. Meadowcroft, J. McKenna, G. Evans, F. McLachlan, R. Hopley, J. Ellison, C. Joyce\r\n\r\nSubs not used: L. Davey, J. Crowther, J. Lampkin, S. Payne, T. Roberts\r\n\r\nGoals: Evans 7, Sinclair 82\r\n\r\nAttendance: 602\r\n\r\nStar Man: Tom Webb.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.