Gloucester City 1 v 2 FC Halifax Town\r\n\r\nA late Danny Andrew penalty wasn’t enough for Gloucester City as the Tigers were condemned to defeat against promotion-chasing FC Halifax Town.\r\n\r\nThe visitors had stunned City during an eight minute first-half spell where sublime goals from Liam Needham and Gareth Seddon had put them into a commanding lead.\r\n\r\nHowever, the Tigers piled on pressure late and were rewarded after Adam Mann had been brought down, and Andrew coolly smashed the ball home from the spot.\r\n\r\nThe contest had opened evenly, but it was Halifax who showed their class early, although Alex Titchener’s weak shot was smartly saved by Mike Green in the City goal.\r\n\r\nHowever, City were equal to the Yorkshire side and a wicked cross from Andrew was inches from reaching the head of Steve Davies who was closing in at the near post.\r\n\r\nHalifax replied soon after a superb ball from Dan Gardener slotted through Seddon, however, a sensational tackle from behind by defender Mike Green denied the winger a clear chance at goal.\r\n\r\nThen, on 22 minutes, a moment of magic from Seddon found Needham on the edge of the box and the defender caressed the ball beautifully past Green, into the top corner, to send the Shaymen into a deserved lead.\r\n\r\nThe Yorkshire side doubled their lead on the half hour, a sublime ball from Gardener found Seddon once more, and the ex-Fleetwood Town player rounded Green and knocked the ball home with aplomb.\r\n\r\nWith the half-time whistle looming, a Hollywood backpass from Ryan Toulson saw the Tigers gain a corner. The resulting cross from Andrew fell to Chris Holland in the box, but the big centre-back’s makeshift effort skimmed just past the upright.\r\n\r\nThe Shaymen continued their dominance going into the second half, but a snatch chance from Paul Marshall did little to worry Green.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers did start to come back at Halifax, and arguably could’ve had a penalty after a clumsy challenge on Will Morford on the edge of the box.\r\n\r\nThe visitor’s persisted in attacking City’s goal and came very close on the hour after a hulking header from Liam Hogan blasted over the bar.\r\n\r\nThis was quickly followed by another chance for Titchener, but his shot was superbly blocked by defender Green.\r\n\r\nWith Halifax pushing men forward, Holland played a magnificent ball into the path of substitute Mann, but the winger’s shot was closed down as he was bearing down on Matt Glennon’s goal.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers finally got their breakthrough 10 minutes from time after Danny Lowe brought down the lively Mann in the box. Danny Andrew then stepped up and scored the penalty; his second goal for the Tigers. A new lease of life for City heading into the final echelons.\r\n\r\nCity stepped up the pressure in search of an equaliser and almost attained it after a surging run from Mann saw his shot cannon off Glennon into the path of Tom Webb but the midfielder couldn’t contort his body to put the ball into the net.\r\n\r\nGloucester City: M. Green, M. Green (Wilson 72), D. Andrew, M. Coupe, C. Holland (Liddiard 67), T. Webb, L. Hogg, J. Harris, S. Davies (Mann 59), W. Morford, S. Rawlings\r\n\r\nSubs not used: N. Mustoe\r\n\r\nGoals: Andrew 80\r\n\r\nFC Halifax Town: M. Glennon, R. Toulson, S. MacManus, L. Hogan, L. Needham, D. Lowe, J. Worthington, P. Marshall, A. Titchener (Gregory 68), D. Gardener (Williams 82), G. Seddon\r\n\r\nSubs not used: P. Senior, C. Qualtar, T. Platt\r\n\r\nGoals: Needham 22, Seddon 30\r\n\r\nAttendance: 303

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.