An 89th minute goal from ten-man Vauxhall Motors’ Ashley Stott denied Gloucester City a hard-earned victory at Whaddon Road.\r\n\r\nWill Morford had put the Tigers ahead with 12 minutes to go against the Merseyside team, but despite the man advantage City couldn’t hold out.\r\n\r\nDanny Fearnehough had been sent off after a nasty lunge on Neil Mustoe early in the second half, but a makeshift City team struggled to get a grip on the game.\r\n\r\nWith seconds of injury time remaining, Lewis Hogg’s spectacular effort bounced off the crossbar to seal a draw.\r\n\r\nGloucester City are now unbeaten in five matches after they go towards setting a record Blue Square Bet North points total for the club.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers had the first chance of note after four minutes, but a clean strike from Hogg after an error from Vauxhall captain Tom Hannigan was well stopped by Zac Jones.\r\n\r\nVauxhall had a brilliant opportunity soon after, but a deep ball from Craig Mahon saw Andy Nicholas make a mess of his header in front of goal to send it wide.\r\n\r\nOn 20 minutes, Tom Rutter was played down the right hand side and his hard cross/shot was expertly stopped by Green who scooped it out for a corner.\r\n\r\nCity were close to taking the lead soon after, but Matt Liddiard’s looping header bounced off the top of the crossbar with Jones flailing for the ball.\r\n\r\nMahon then stormed through the City midfield, but Green was more than a match for his long range effort.\r\n\r\nThe second half started with City abuzz, and Darren Edwards was very unlucky not to put the Tigers ahead, but a stupendous block from captain Hannigan deflected the shot wide.\r\n\r\nSteve Davies came even closer with a header that sailed past the far post; the striker was harried by two Vauxhall defenders.\r\n\r\nThe visitors then almost struck back, Danny Fearnehough seemingly had all the time in the world but his shot sailed over the crossbar from 10 yards out.\r\n\r\nThe whole game changed on 57 minutes after a two-footed lunge by Fearnehough on Neil Mustoe saw referee Daniel Cook have no option but to send the midfielder off; the game had been very tetchy throughout.\r\n\r\nHowever, City couldn’t capitalise on the extra man as the game remained even.\r\n\r\nThe Merseyside outfit looked dangerous and pounced on the counter with Stott and Obi Anorou, who both were denied by a superb double save from Green.\r\n\r\nWith City attempting to make the extra man count, the Motormen were attacking with force as Anorou was stopped by Green again.\r\n\r\nThen, the breakthrough came for City.\r\n\r\nAn intricate piece of play on the edge of penalty area between Edwards and Morford saw the latter pounce through the Vauxhall defence and slot past Jones to put the Tigers into the lead.\r\n\r\nCity could’ve doubled the gap moments after, but a marauding run from Andrew who kept on going to the by-line found Josh Hunt lurking at the back post, the youngster’s shot blasted over the bar.\r\n\r\nThe lead wasn’t to last though as ten man Vauxhall equalised late via a superb Stott effort from 20 yards out.\r\n\r\nHowever, it could’ve been very different ig Hogg’s fantastic effort deep into injury time hadn’t of smashed against the crossbar as the game petered out for a draw.\r\n\r\nGloucester City: MJ. Green, S. Rawlings, D. Andrew, M. Liddiard, J. Harris, N. Mustoe, L. Hogg, S. Davies (Hunt 65), D. Edwards, W. Morford, A. Mann\r\n\r\nSubs not used: D. Mehew, K. Mace, MF. Green\r\n\r\nGoals: Morford 78\r\n\r\nVauxhall Motors: Z. Jones, C. Roberts-Nurse, S. Wainwright, T. Hannigan, A. Nicholas, D. Fearnehough, C. Mahon, M. Burns, T. Rutter (Anorou 69), A. Stott, K. Noon\r\n\r\nSubs not used: L. Moss, D. Kocsis, G. Martindale, C. Ellison\r\n\r\nGoals: Stott 89\r\n\r\nStar Man: Danny Andrew

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.