A 87th minute strike from midfielder Lewis Hogg saved Gloucester City, and goalkeeper Mike Green’s, blushes as they drew with lowly Histon.\r\n\r\nThe midfielder’s hopeful cross into a packed penalty area deceived everyone, including opposition ‘keeper Calum Kitscha, and glided in at the far post.\r\n\r\nHiston had come to Whaddon Road in search of an important three points as they look to stave off relegation, and took the lead after a horrible mistake from Green, not aided by the pitch, let in Lewis Taaffe to score only for Hogg’s late goal to earn a point.\r\n\r\nThe visitors had the first meaningful opportunity and came inches from scoring.\r\n\r\nTalisman Taaffe was unleashed at Chris Holland, surged past the defender, crossed the ball into Jack Paxman who clattered the woodwork with his close range effort, a dangerous opening for the Stutes.\r\n\r\nThe Cambridgeshire side continued to bombard the City goal, but efforts from Taaffe were well stopped by Green in goal.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers had their first opportunity after 20 minutes, but Hogg’s smartly taken free kick came to Darren Edwards, who duly blasted the ball over the line.\r\n\r\nHiston hit back, but after a wonderfully taken corner from Ben Coker, Harry Hawkins couldn’t keep his header down.\r\n\r\nWith half-time looming, the Tigers piled on the pressure and were almost rewarded but Matt Liddiard couldn’t keep his header down after a sublime ball from Danny Andrew.\r\n\r\nHowever, the Stutes were highly unlucky not to enter the break in the lead.\r\n\r\nThe ball was crossed into the area where James Stevenson was waiting, the midfielder tepidly shot from two yards out where Green stopped from point blank range; a fantastic reflex stop by the ‘keeper.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers restarted well, and could’ve broken the deadlock but after a poor clearance from Kitscha, Will Morford couldn’t convert the opportunity as the ball trickled past the back post.\r\n\r\nGreen kept the Tigers in it once again after producing a superb save to stop a Taaffe free kick.\r\n\r\nHowever, the breakthrough came after a horrendous error from the goalkeeper.\r\n\r\nGreen attempted to clear a back pass, totally misjudged the bounce of the ball on a bobbly Whaddon Road surface, and the ball found its way into the path of the ever-present Taaffe who slotted home one of the easier chances he’ll ever get.\r\n\r\nThe Bridge Road outfit continued attacking City on the counter, and despite a five-on-two opportunity, Coker somehow managed to blow the opportunity.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers piled on the pressure late and were finally rewarded after a hopeful punt into the penalty area from Hogg deceived everyone, sailed past Kitscha in goal, and nestled at the back post to equalise for City, and score his second goal for the club.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.