A 20-yard screamer from Nat Wedderburn secured a crucial three points for Corby Town as they battled Gloucester City at Whaddon Road.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers’ injury-ridden squad included three players called up from the club’s youth system, but they couldn’t hold out against a persistent and spirited Corby outfit that needed a win as a necessity heading into the game.\r\n\r\nWith it being the Tigers’ final home game; Dave Mehew, who ventured on for the final minutes, can look back fondly at a fantastic season for the club who are now guaranteed their best ever Blue Square Bet North league finish.\r\n\r\nHowever, it was a deserved win for the Steelmen as they head into the final game of the season with a real hope of staving off relegation due to results elsewhere.\r\n\r\nDespite the pressure riding on the game for the visitors, it started evenly with neither side really taking control of the contest.\r\n\r\nBut it was Corby who had the first real effort on goal after 24 minutes when a knock down found Ryan Semple in the six yard box, but his close range effort was superbly stopped by Mike Green and the rebound flew over the bar.\r\n\r\nThe Northamptonshire side had a second chance straight after, but Paul Malone’s glancing header sailed past the post.\r\n\r\nThey continued to pepper the City goal but Gary King’s acrobatic bicycle kick attempt after a knock over from Carl Piergianni was collected simply by Green.\r\n\r\nCity had the best chance of the half heading into the break when a spectacular miss kick from Piergianni let Steve Davies loose on the wing; his cross found Tom Webb in the middle but City’s all-time appearance holder saw his shot well stopped by Paul Walker.\r\n\r\nThe visitors came out after half-time full of intent and went very close after King had played in Semple but a strong hand from Green pushed it wide.\r\n\r\nThe resulting corner saw a bullet header from Malone shoot over the bar.\r\n\r\nMalone once again turned City’s tormentor from a set piece but saw his header smash off King in the goalmouth.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers then hurried forward with Davies who dinked the ball over the first defender but saw his shot cleared into the path of Webb who dragged his chance wide.\r\n\r\nThe tried and tested method of Semple to Malone kept on causing City problems as the big defender loomed large at the back post but headed wide.\r\n\r\nWith 10 minutes remaining, City pushed forward and from a typically teasing Danny Andrew corner, it was cleared into the path of substitute Josh Hunt, but the youngster’s 30 yard effort swerved wide of the upright.\r\n\r\nWith time running out for relegation-threatened Corby, Avelino Viera found King in the box but as the striker unleashed his shot Webb was there to block.\r\n\r\nThen came the breakthrough for Corby, Wedderburn was given acres of space on the edge of the box and smashed a 20 yard pearler into the top left corner of Green’s goal to send the away bench, and supporters, into delirium.\r\n\r\nGloucester City: M. Green, S. Rawlings, D. Andrew, M. Liddiard, M. Green, T. Webb, K. Tracey (Hunt 63), S. Turl (Mehew 87), J. Parker, S. Davies, A. Mann\r\n\r\nSubs not used: N. Mustoe\r\n\r\nCorby Town: P. Walker, J. Crowe, S. Ives, M. Abalimba (Richardson 20), C. Piergianni, P. Malone, R. Semple, N. Wedderburn, G. Kaziboni, G. King, T. McGowan (Viera 81)\r\n\r\nSubs not used: S. Galinski, A. Viera, L. Greer, L. Webb\r\n\r\nGoal: Wedderburn 85\r\n\r\nAttendance: 355\r\n\r\nStar Man: Sam Turl

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.