A missed penalty from Altrincham striker Damian Reeves sealed Gloucester City an important point in a scrappy affair at Whaddon Road.\r\n\r\nThe Blue Square Bet North’s leading marksman failed to convert the spot kick as he smashed the ball wide of Mike Green’s right hand post.\r\n\r\nThe draw ends the Tigers run of consecutive home defeats as they look tantalisingly close to the top half of the league table.\r\n\r\nTruth be told, the contest was a frustrating one for both sides; with the City defence expertly quelling the Robin’s potent strikeforce for a large majority of the game.\r\n\r\nThe visitors started lively but a tame header from Ben Mills didn’t trouble City.\r\n\r\nThen, after a great piece of interplay in midfield Nicky Clee played in Damian Reeves but the hotshot striker’s chance was deflected wide.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers hit back but a storming header from Jack Harris was blocked well by the Moss Lane outfit as it filtered towards Stuart Coburn’s goal.\r\n\r\nOn the quarter hour mark the Manchester side attacked once again, but Mills’ quick shot ventured just past Green’s right post.\r\n\r\nDavid Mehew’s men came close to breaking the deadlock on 25 minutes with a Danny Andrew corner finding Lewis Hogg on the edge of the box, his resulting shot came straight to Chris Holland but the defender’s back heel failed to trouble Coburn.\r\n\r\nThe visitor’s best chance from open play fell to Mills but his header was saved acrobatically by Green. The striker’s rebound was equally well blocked and finally the ball came to Carl Rodgers, but his snatch shot swerved right of the post.\r\n\r\nAfter a period of sustained pressure from City a superb corner from Andrew came to the head of Holland but the ball fizzed wide of the upright.\r\n\r\nWith half-time looming, the Robins came inches from taking the lead after the ball somehow came off Gianluca Havern, but Andrew was there to clear the ball off the line.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers exploded out of the blocks in the second half and came close to taking the lead, but Adam Mann’s drilled cross failed to connect with Steve Davies in the middle.\r\n\r\nAltrincham came back at the Tigers after a beautiful ball from Clee found Rodgers – who had ghosted in behind the City backline – but his header went agonisingly wide.\r\n\r\nOn the hour, the visitors had the perfect opportunity to take the lead. A City defender had brought down Simon Richman as he was about to shoot, only for referee Christopher Powell to award a penalty. Reeves stepped up and blasted the chance wide; a lifeline for City.\r\n\r\nAfter a frustrating second half for both sides the Tigers could’ve nicked it after a misunderstanding in the Altrincham defence, but substitute Joe Parker’s persistence saw the ball cannon across the six yard box to an Altrincham defender.\r\n\r\nWith a final throw of the dice the visitors bombed forward but Duncan Watmore’s effort was superbly stopped by Green as the game ended scoreless.\r\n\r\nGloucester City: M. Green, M. Green, D. Andrew, T. Hamblin, C. Holland, T. Webb, L. Hogg (Liddiard 86), J. Harris, D. Edwards, W. Morford (Davies 45), A. Mann (Parker 70)\r\n\r\nSubs not used: S. Rawlings\r\n\r\nAltrincham: S. Coburn, S. Densmore, N. Clee, C. Rodgers, G. Havern, S. Leather (Hall 79), S. Richman, P. Lacey (Moult 72), B. Mills, D. Reeves (Watmore 87), J. Lawrie\r\n\r\nSubs not used: M. Doughty, S. Bullen

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.