Dominant Gloucester cruised to their second opening day victory in a row with a display of neat football and assured defending.\n\nDarren Mullings’ fist half volley gave City the lead against Gainsborough Trinity but it was the resolute blocks from keeper Conor Thompson which secured the win.\n\nWith 17-year-old Thompson handed his City debut in goal in olace of the injured Mike Green and 19-year-old Jordan Tillson in front of him in place of Tom Hamblin Gloucester’s starting line-up had a youthful feel.\n\nPlaying with verve and energy the Tigers attacked from the off, with Will Morford racing through to test Jan Budtz in the first minute.\n\nSummer signing Lewis Hogg showed his class with some neat passing, linking up well with Morford and Darren Edwards.\n\nCity dominated in the first half, taking advantage of a Gainsborough side who struggled to maintain possession. A frenetic pace in midfield, led by Tom Webb and Hogg saw the Tigers hustle their way forward.\n\nBut Gainsborough were quick on the break and young Tillson was forced into early action to block a cross from Ryan Williams.\n\nA free kick from Williams minutes later looked dangerous for Gloucester but Greg Young’s powerful header flew over the bar.\n\nBen Hunt, playing out wide on the left played Edwards in on 15 minutes, with the City striker firing the ball towards goal. New Gainsborough keeper Jan Budtz blocked the shot only for Mullings to volley it back past him to put City ahead.\n\nA momentary lapse in concentration saw a goalmouth scramble at the other end minutes later but the calm head of Jack Harris cleared the ball upfield.\n\nMorford hit the side netting from a Webb cross on the half hour mark before Mullings saw a second attempt on goal after picking out a pinpoint ball from right back Mike Green as City looked for a second.\n\n\nYoung Thompson’s quick block stopped Paul Connor pulling back a goal from a yard out just before the break.\n\nThe pace flattened in the second half as Gainsborough tried to get a foothold into the game but City’s back line stood firm, with Tillson showing composure early on, clearing the ball from danger.\n\nSubstitute Matthew Godden broke forward on 50 minutes but couldn’t find a way past Matt Coupe. He shot high over the bar with a free kick minutes later.\n\nThe introduction of Jamie Yates injected pace for the home side but he found himself thwarted by Thompson on more than one occasion and looked a more subdued figure than the one who impressed at Whaddon Road last season.\n\nHunt hit the side netting on 62 minutes after collecting a neat ball from substitute Steve Davies. A selfish shot from Godden was easily saved by Thompson on 65 minutes, when his teammates were in acres of space.\n\nJack Harris almost gave City a second with a flying header with ten minutes to go but could only hit the far post before Thomspson once agains blocked a shot from Yates as Gloucester battled to an impressive opening day win against one of last season’s play off sides.\n\n\n\nGainsborough Trinity: J Budtz, D Roma, L Ridley, L Waterfall, G Young, M Leary (D Stamp 68), J D’Laryea, R Williams (M Godden 46), S Clarke, P Connor, T Hawkridge (J Yates 59) Subs:, D Hone, C Nelthorpe\n\nGloucester City: C Thompson, M Green, J Harris, M Coupe, J Tillson, T Webb, L Hogg, D Mullings, D Edwards, W Morford (S Davies 59) B Hunt (S Rawlings 88). Subs: M Liddiard, J Parker\n\nAtt: 538\n\nStar man: C Thompson

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.