Gloucester City left it until injury time to earn a historic place in the FA Cup First Round.\n\nDarren Edwards 91st minute goal broke 23 years of miserable cup runs and marked midfielder Tom Webb’s 500th game in style.\n\n\nChippenham started brightly, forcing an early save from Mike Green just three minutes in. In a scramble in the box the visitors appealed for a penalty with no success.\n\nAs expected the pace and energy was frantic from both sides, a minute after Chippenham’s chance Lewis Hogg played in Mitch Harding only for the Bristol Rovers loanee to see his shot blocked.\n\nFormer City triallist Brandon Barnes shot over the bar on six minutes as the action flew from end to end.\n\nScott Rogers was the first to be booked for a crunching foul on Jordan Goddard as the tempo stayed frenetic. Chippenham wasted another chance ten minutes in with a shot from Alan Griffth going just wide.\n\nAfter that Gloucester began to impose themselves, winning a succession of corners and playing the ball forward. Jack Harris was imperious on the left, winning every header and lining up play.\n\nBut none of the corners produced any threat for former City keeper Conor Thompson.\n\nHarding’s powerful shot hit the underside of the cross bar on 35 minutes as City pushed hard but, despite chances for both sides in the four minutes of added time the first half ended goalless.\n\nGreen was forced into an early save from a long range effort early into the second half as the pace of the first 45 continued.\n\nWith so many former teammates facing each other tempers began to flare, Dean Griffiths and Matt Coupe each earning a booking on 50 minutes.\n\nGloucester continued to press with Tom Hamblin scuffing a chance on 57 minutes, before Jordan Tillson fumbled a shot on 62 minutes.\n\nWith time ebbing away it looked like City’s poor FA Cup record was set to continue as chance after chance failed to stick.\n\nGriffiths saw red on 73 minutes for a second rash challenge on Coupe before City’s subs Steve Davies and Adam Mann gave fresh legs and fresh hope.\n\nWith time ticking away Edwards collected the ball from a well worked City attack and fired it past Thompson for the historic win.\n\n \n\n\nGloucester City: M Green, J Tillson (S Davies 76) C Holland, M Coupe YC, T Hamblin, T Webb, L Hogg, J Goddard, D Edwards, M Harding (W Morford 46) J Harris (A Mann 80).\n\nSubs: S Rawlings, M Liddiard, J Parker, N Mustoe\n\nChippenham Town: C Thompson, A Kite, B Barnes (J Guthrie 83), S Casey, N Rudge YC, J Egan (L Ballinger 84), S Rogers YC (A Harris 90) A Griffin, D Griffiths, I Harvey.\n\nSubs: B Wickens, R Fey\n\nAttendance: 675\n\nStar man: Tom Webb\n\nReferee: Andy Hendley (Halesowen)

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.