Colwyn Bay 1 – 0 Gloucester City\r\n\r\nA first half John McKenna header condemned Gloucester City to a final day defeat, but proved glorious for the home side as they staved off the threat of relegation.\r\n\r\nIt has been a record-breaking season for Dave Mehew’s men and the result sees the Tigers finish a respectable 11th in the Blue Square Bet North; their best ever season in the division.\r\n\r\nDanny Andrew, seemingly playing his final game for the club, struck the crossbar in the second half with a delicious free kick; but that was as good as it got for City as the Welsh side hung on for the vital three points.\r\n\r\nIt meant there was no fairytale season finish for Mehew, who was managing his 250th Gloucester City game, ranking him fifth on the all-time managerial list for the club.\r\n\r\nDespite Colwyn Bay’s predicament, it was City who had the urgency in the early echelons of the game.\r\n\r\nSteve Davies, who was busy all afternoon, scuttled down the right wing but his eventual shot blasted into the side netting.\r\n\r\nThen Andrew came close, but his curling free kick from 25 yards out was well held by Chris Sanna.\r\n\r\nHowever, the survival instinct that had saw the Welsh side win five out of five flourished back.\r\n\r\nFirstly, Gareth Evans’ strong effort from just outside the box was well saved by Mike Green, who has had yet another brilliant season for City.\r\n\r\nIt was shortly Shelton Payne’s turn to test the ex-Bristol Rovers man, but Green was more than a match after the midfielder had cut inside the City backline.\r\n\r\nOn 32 minutes, the breakthrough came when a powerful corner from Shelton Payne found McKenna in the middle who saw his glancing header nestle into Green’s net to send Frank Sinclair’s men into delirium.\r\n\r\nPayne almost turned supplier to finisher but his snatch chance breezed past the back post.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers roared back in the second half with much intent, looking to end the season on a positive note in front of a jovial fancy dress laden away support.\r\n\r\nFirstly Davies skipped through, but dragged his shot wide at the key moment.\r\n\r\nThe Bay hit back, but Jamie Ellison’s quick strike was again well held by Green.\r\n\r\nSinclair, whose Premier League class is still on display even in his forties, won almost every header at the back and pumped the ball forward but a flick on from Jamie Crowther inched past the upright.\r\n\r\nTwo of City’s youth system graduates almost combined to equalise on the hour when Adam Mann played in Joe Parker, but the teenager shot the ball into the side-netting as he came under pressure.\r\n\r\nCity’s best chance came with a quarter of an hour to go when Andrew, who has been one of the major catalysts for the Tigers’ fantastic run, delivered a sumptuous free kick that smashed the underside of the bar and was cleared away.\r\n\r\nColwyn Bay seemed content to hold on to the one-nil score, which they did to cause a pitch invasion of joyous Welshmen as Corby Town, who beat an under-strength City last week, were relegated.\r\n\r\nCity have gritted through these final few games with a hugely depleted squad, ending the season with five losses in a row; but under Mehew’s tutelage the Tigers can look forward to another promising campaign ahead.\r\n\r\nColwyn Bay: C. Sanna, T. Smyth, M. Lea, F. Sinclair, D. Meadowcroft, J. McKenna, G. Evans (Lampkin 90+2), S. Payne, J. Crowther, J. Ellison (Moore 75), C. Joyce\r\n\r\nSubs not used: D. Taylor, P. Ennis, F. McLachlan\r\n\r\nGoal: McKenna 32\r\n\r\nGloucester City: M. Green, S. Rawlings, D. Andrew, M. Liddiard (Hunt 61), M. Green, T. Webb, S. Turl (Tracey 71), J. Harris, J. Parker (Mehew 83), S. Davies, A. Mann\r\n\r\nSubs not used: N. Mustoe, N. Phillips\r\n\r\nAttendance: 633\r\n\r\nStar man: Danny Andrew

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.