Gloucester City’s final home match of the season ended in a victory, as they claimed a well-earned win against East Thurrock at the Jubilee.

Goals from Lawrence, Smerdon, and Turner cancelled out Knott’s equaliser just after half-time.

City were comfortably the better side in the opening exchanges and the early pressure told in the 12th minute.

Lawrence showed grit and determination to chase down a loose ball and forced Reddie into a mistake, the forward’s finish was not the cleanest of strikes but was just enough to just creep over the line.

City continued to look threatening and could have doubled the lead when Hall’s freekick whistled past the post.

Just before the half-hour mark, the Tigers did find the second. An Ed Williams corner was flicked on by Avery to the back post, falling to the feet of Noah Smerdon, who made no mistakes with the finish.

The second goal seemed to wake East Thurrock up as they began to see a lot more of the ball and the chances started to come.

Phipps should have done better when he headed over from a cross, despite little pressure from the City defence. Knott was equally as guilty when he failed to convert a great chance after being played through by Sammons.

John Coventry’s words at the break had a clear effect on his players, as they came out firing in the second-half.

And they responded immediately when Knott took advantage of some poor City defending to finish well to get the Rocks back in the game.

In response, Marc Richards made a couple of clever changes, bringing on Turner and Edge to sure up the midfield and as a result, City looked a lot more solid.

The visitors were becoming increasingly frustrated as they struggled to break down City’s stubborn defence.

And with just over ten minutes to go, City executed the perfect counter-attack. Turner was played through the middle, despite seeing his first attempt cannon off the bar, he finished the rebound well to seal the points for the Tigers.

The afternoon could have got better when Hall was played in down the left side, but the forward fired his effort just wide of the post.

Team: Hannah, Thomas, Parselle, Cundy, Avery (c), Hanks (Kelly 84), Smerdon, Webb (Edge 67), Lawrence (Turner 60), E.Williams, Hall

Subs Not Used: M.Williams, Morford

Man of the Match: Noah Smerdon

Next up for City is the final game of the season away at Braintree next Saturday 3pm KO at the Amlin Stadium.

For more Post-match reaction:

You can follow all the action with regular updates via the club’s Twitter feed or Facebook page.

Post-match reaction will be available on the YouTube channel as well as the club website

Comments are closed.