A second minute strike from Joe Mwasile was enough from Workington to beat a disjointed Gloucester City on a chilly afternoon at Whaddon Road.\nEarly pressure from the Cumbrians allowed midfielder Phil McLuckie to place a superb ball across the City defence to find the Mwasile in acres of space at the back post to slot in.\nThe result put Workington in touch with the play-off spaces, but leaves Gloucester City 18th, four points above the drop zone.\nAfter the superb opening from the visitors, David Mehew’s men went straight on the attack and were unlucky not to be awarded a penalty by referee Mark Pottage after a tricky ball was seemingly handled by Niall Cowperthwaite around the penalty spot.\nCity came close once again after a teasing free-kick from the right by Adam Mann found the head of the powerful Chris Holland who couldn’t guide his header on target.\nThe Cumbrians almost doubled their lead, after an in-swinging corner found a rising Gareth Arnison whose header struck the top of the bar.\nWith half an hour on the clock, the Reds were looking the more dangerous and City were almost made to pay when McLuckie chipped over Mike Green, only for Jack Harris to clear the ball off the line.\nWith half-time looming City counterattacked with the rampant Will Morford up the left wing, to place a delicate ball into the path of Tom Webb who smashed the ball across the box to Darren Edwards who couldn’t make enough contact on the ball.\nThe visitors once again started the stronger from kick off and were almost rewarded, but a shot from the cultured Arnison was well held by Green.\nWorkington almost capitalised again on a lacklustre City performance when striker Johnny Wright was played through on goal, but goalkeeper Green was more than a match as he clipped the ball wide.\nThe visitors once again missed a golden opportunity when a superb ball from Mwasile almost found Newcastle United loanee Jonathan Hooper in the box, but the striker couldn’t finish.\nWith the contest in its dying embers, the travellers kept up the tempo and after a fumble from goalkeeper Green, centre-back Kyle May swivelled on the edge of the box and blazed over the bar.\nCity’s final chance came in the second minute of added time; a lofted ball from Sam Rawlings found Holland whose tame header fell into Taylor’s hands.\n \n \nGloucester City: M. Green, M. Green, J. Harris (S. Davies 45), M. Coupe (Rawlings 69), T. Hamblin, T. Webb, C. Holland, J. Goddard, D. Edwards (Parker 69), W. Morford, A. Mann\nSubs: N. Mustoe\nWorkington: A. Taylor, N. Cowperthwaite, G. Rowntree, K. May, L. Andrews, D. Hewson, P. McLuckie, W. Vaulks, J. Wright (A. Wright 86), G. Arnison (J. Hooper 67), J. Mwasile\nSubs: M. Boyd, J. Greenhalgh, S. Dixon\nGoals: Mwasile 2\nAttendance: 230

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.