Ben Seymour’s first half strike was enough to seal a much needed win for the Tigers as they earned a well deserved victory over East Thurrock at the Jubilee.

Seymour latched onto a defence-splitting pass from Joe Hanks to calmly slot the ball home for the only goal of the game, in what was solid performance after a difficult week for City.

The Rocks were reduced to nine men in the second half, Paul Konchesky and Ashley Miller were both shown red in the space of fourteen minutes in what turned out to be a frustrating afternoon for the visitors.

City started the game well and were eager to make a good impression after their poor start to the season. Parker and Mawford, in particular, were looking dangerous.

Isaac Kelly had City’s first effort, but the defender’s strike from distance sailed over the crossbar.

As the pressure continued to build from the home side, Seymour wasted a great chance to give the Tigers the lead, when his close-range header failed to beat Jack Giddens in the Rocks goal.

It took the visitors 20 minutes to carve out their first real chance of the game, but Yates was on hand to deny a powerful effort, pushing the ball behind for a corner.

The City pressure finally paid off just after the half-hour mark, Hanks, with a fantastic ball over the top, which was met by Ben Seymour who timed his run well to finish calmly past Giddens.

Marc Richards’ side continued to grow in confidence and this was clear to see, Joe Parker’s charging run from his own half, almost produced the second, but the forwards shot was straight at the Rocks keeper.

Jake Mawford then spurned a great chance before the break when he failed to really connect with a loose ball, Giddens comfortably saving.

City continued to control the proceedings in the second half, and with the game getting stretched, the chance’s kept coming.

A dazzling run from Mawford resulted in the ball being played to Seymour inside the box, but the forward’s finish was poor, going well over the bar.

The visitor’s hopes of getting back into the game took a major blow on the hour mark, Paul Konchesky reacted angrily to a strong challenge from Parker, the referee having no choice but to show the red card.

With the man advantage, the Tigers were firmly in control, Seymour once again found himself in a good position, but again, failed to convert.

With fifteenth minutes left, things went from bad to worse for the Rocks, when they went down nine, Ashley Miller sent off for a second booking after a poor challenge on Smerdon.

The away side threw bodies forward in a desperate attempt to salvage a point, but City remained solid and saw out the remaining minutes to claim a deserved three points.

Man of the Match:  Jake Mawford


Yates, Kelly (Deaman 68), Smerdon,Williams, Avery (c), Edge, Parker, Hanks, Seymour (Lawrence 74), Mawford, Page

Subs not used: Jackson, Hannah, Morford

Attendance: 210

Next up for the Tigers is a trip to Dulwich Hamlet next Saturday 25th August 3pm KO.

For more Post-match reaction:

You can follow all the action with regular updates via the club’s Twitter feed or Facebook page.

Post-match reaction will be available on the YouTube channel as well as the club website.

By Harry Hogg

Twitter: @HazHogg

Comments are closed.